Goodman handle elastic or rigid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am about to buy a handle for my light but note it comes as either an elastic hand mount or goodman hand mount Im not sure which one to order does anyone have any experience with both or prefers one over the other I cant see/try them as Im ordering over the net so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and its to be used with the DiveRite LED500 corded unit if that info makes any difference.

the aussie LED500 version???(re: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dive-rite/221819-new-500-led-cannister.html and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/220962-my-valentine-day-pressie-new-light-now-what.html )

EDIT:heheh - i re-read the threads i quote and see you have the US version. :D

the handle i have is the elastic one but i would be very interested in trying out the goodman mount

cheers

No its the US model handheld with the option of corded unit, not the same as yours. The head on my LED500 is heavy aluminium so am wondering how steady an elastic handmount would hold it or if it would flop around, the Goodman hanle is of course more solid by the nature of its construction but its almost 6x the price, $17 versus $72 now I dont mind paying that if its the better option but its 6/1 12doz then cheaper would be my choice.:) I assume the head on yours is lighter and made from delrin?

oops your edit came in after?? sorry about that...

I think it depends a lot on what you are going to be doing with the light. If you are going to be running line, you might find the rigid handle easier to manage (although I have a friend who prefers the soft). If you're just doing recreational diving and using the light to look into holes and to spot critters, you might prefer the soft handle.

I had a light with a soft handle and a very small lighthead, and it was quite comfortable, but I couldn't thumb the light to do things with my left hand very well. I'm not at all sure a bigger lighthead would have been steady enough to suit me without the hard handle.

I think it depends a lot on what you are going to be doing with the light. If you are going to be running line, you might find the rigid handle easier to manage (although I have a friend who prefers the soft). If you're just doing recreational diving and using the light to look into holes and to spot critters, you might prefer the soft handle.

I had a light with a soft handle and a very small lighthead, and it was quite comfortable, but I couldn't thumb the light to do things with my left hand very well. I'm not at all sure a bigger lighthead would have been steady enough to suit me without the hard handle.

Ill be using just for OW rec diving I like the idea of hands free not that its so important for the type of diving I do. The LED 500 I have is not small and is quite heavy so do you think the elastic would hold it in position ok?

edit/ sorry just re read your post and you answered my question... thanks

what i dont like about the elastic handle

getting it on and off as i think the other mount would be more friendly. as the strap has to be secure, sometimes i feel the need to stretch my hand due to a cramp feeling (its not so tight to give me a cramp, just the position/lack of movement i guess).

for the cost of $17, you can always get it and then make a decision, or better still, get a 1" strap of elastic and rig up something for the light to test it out for a dive. it should give you a idea close to the original

cheers

what i dont like about the elastic handle

getting it on and off as i think the other mount would be more friendly. as the strap has to be secure, sometimes i feel the need to stretch my hand due to a crap feeling (its not so tight to give me a crap, just the position/lack of movement i guess).

for the cost of $17, you can always get it and then make a decision, or better still, get a 1" strap of elastic and rig up something for the light to test it out for a dive. it should give you a idea close to the original

cheers

Hmm Im thinking the hard handle will probably be better given the weight of the head unit, but Ill do as you suggest and rig something up using elastic to get a rough idea...see if it gives me a "crap":wink:...thanks for that...:)

The elastic strap on the Dive Rite handle is pretty strong as far as elastic goes. It holds the light in place pretty well even out of the water. Keep in mind that the weight of the light won't be as much of an issue once you are in the water. I would agree with almitywife. For $17 it won't hurt to try it out. There is no point in paying a bunch of money for the rigid handle if the soft one will work for you.

Back
Top Bottom