Goodman handle elastic or rigid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 10W Salvo came with the Goodman handle. Even when making the handle as tight as possible my hand was just to thin for the handle to stay in place without considerable effort and my hand closed around it the entire time. When running a real it was difficult because again as my hand isn't that big the thickness of the real handle and the thickness of the Goodman meant at times the reel wasn't secure in my hand.

We went in to Salvo to test their elastic handles and I walked away with one and haven't regretted it. I got a bruise on the top of my hand with the Goodman because it was loose and every motion of my hand would touch the light head. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you do it 1000 times in one day!

I say try the cheaper elastic and see what you think. Its easy to don and doff and has worked fine for me in caves so far. My husband loves his normal Goodman though so its really preference and size.

Miranda

thank you to everyone for their replies I have taken your advice and have ordered the elastic hand mount, as said its the much cheaper option and if its way unsuitable then I can always buy the more expensive one later. Thanks again.

I forgot to mention that I have the entire light mounted because I don't have the remote cord yet. Even with the full weight of the light it worked well this past weekend using the soft handle. Also, I unscrewed the white plastic "clamp" that holds the light and screwed the soft handle directly to the light instead. You have to get shorter screws (or cut the existing ones shorter) to do this, but it allows the light to rest on top of your hand which makes it more stable. It's also lower profile.

I forgot to mention that I have the entire light mounted because I don't have the remote cord yet. Even with the full weight of the light it worked well this past weekend using the soft handle. Also, I unscrewed the white plastic "clamp" that holds the light and screwed the soft handle directly to the light instead. You have to get shorter screws (or cut the existing ones shorter) to do this, but it allows the light to rest on top of your hand which makes it more stable. It's also lower profile.

thanks for that info Ill try out both ways when it arrives:)

i have the elastic and hate it.
it's pretty awful for signalling unless you REALLY strap it down tight. but then it bothers me throughout the dive.
if you don't really squeeze it tight on your hand it flops all over the place when you try to signal with it

i have the elastic and hate it.
it's pretty awful for signalling unless you REALLY strap it down tight. but then it bothers me throughout the dive.
if you don't really squeeze it tight on your hand it flops all over the place when you try to signal with it

Ah the flopping I was afraid of, oh well Ive ordered it now...Im glad its only $17 and not $72, I guess I can always turn it into a sling shot if I find it too floppy...:)

Most of my diving is in cold water, so my handle has to accomodate a dryglove with a thick liner. The metal handle on my goodman handle works great for this.

When I am diving in warmer water and dont' need my dry gloves, I use a 3mm wetsuit glove with it's fingers cut off. It works great to cushion the metal handle on my hand.

I also ride a scooter so having a scooter ring on the handle works nice.

Jim

$72 for a goodman handle sounds a bit steep, they are $40 at my LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom