Good Ways to Mount a Drysuit Bottle in Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is a 6cuft enough for cave diving? I've heard mixed opinions on it.
For most profiles, yes. Longer runs in Manatee and other roller coastery caves, you end up cutting it close or moving to a 14 but generally by that point you’ve found enough dives where you know your 6 limit. 90% of cave dives, yes.

Attachments

• 0CA45B52-87FF-42B2-95D5-B8EFC03C1E7E.png
    0CA45B52-87FF-42B2-95D5-B8EFC03C1E7E.png
    407.5 KB · Views: 353
  • BBCA5D7C-4BBB-40F5-8C12-070CE7531431.png
    BBCA5D7C-4BBB-40F5-8C12-070CE7531431.png
    754.8 KB · Views: 308
For most profiles, yes. Longer runs in Manatee and other roller coastery caves, you end up cutting it close or moving to a 14 but generally by that point you’ve found enough dives where you know your 6 limit. 90% of cave dives, yes.

I will have to order one when they come back in stock at DGX. I have the mounting system in the picture with the Razor wing. I use it for my can light.

Via Edd. Canister light placement here would be another option for AL6 but would probably add bungee loop around it so tail doesn’t get floaty.

Attachments

• 046856E3-1C02-4AA3-A29D-33C863B378B9.png
    046856E3-1C02-4AA3-A29D-33C863B378B9.png
    916.2 KB · Views: 344
I have an SMS75. So the bungee loops on the spine are meant for this sort of application? I have a 6cft suit bottle. No can light. I like the one method above with the bottle clipped to those little D rings.

Thanks for the info.

I have an AL8 (2k psi) that I but mount with bungees. Just needs one bolt snap to hold the reg side up when out of the water. I don't have much trouble mounting this and my light canister on the same bungee plate. It's going to get interesting adding the 2L O2 bottle for my new Sidewinder however.

I have an AL8 (2k psi) that I but mount with bungees. Just needs one bolt snap to hold the reg side up when out of the water. I don't have much trouble mounting this and my light canister on the same bungee plate. It's going to get interesting adding the 2L O2 bottle for my new Sidewinder however.
The most common methods are adjacent the spine or stroke mounting it like a sling bottle on the left side. Hose clamp to paracord to boltsnap on top, bungee loop around the neck clipped either to a hip d-ring or back to the butt rail. A 6 is small enough to tuck into the gap between the left bottle and the torso. I’ll snag a picture of mine later. Some of Edd’s students have it mounted stacked above between the can light and 2L or the below the 2L but I found downsides to both. Let us know what you commit to

The most common methods are adjacent the spine or stroke mounting it like a sling bottle on the left side. Hose clamp to paracord to boltsnap on top, bungee loop around the neck clipped either to a hip d-ring or back to the butt rail. A 6 is small enough to tuck into the gap between the left bottle and the torso. I’ll snag a picture of mine later. Some of Edd’s students have it mounted stacked above between the can light and 2L or the below the 2L but I found downsides to both. Let us know what you commit to
Thanks, I look forward to seeing your setup. I am going to make good rigging setups for butt and side options and see which one works better. I like how the butt mount gets it out of the way, but I dislike having to change my trim weighting every time I use a drysuit bottle to accommodate it. (Yeah, suck it up, I know.) The left side option interests me and it would offset my deco tank which I run on the right. But I don't have a good setup for that yet. I have a month before my trimix dives start to work it out, fortunately.

Spine is out for me; my rig just doesn't have the space for it.

Thanks, I'll have 50 hours to work it out before normoxic.

I really wish we could get more data on this. I sidemount with my Choptima and I am running bailuent left , 50% right that I use for my suit. Fire is always on my mind.

To the OP, when I have Trimix in both tanks, I butt Mount an AL6. It’s so small I can’t even tell it’s there.

A local diver did have a suit heater "fire" up here using 50% as inflation gas about 3 years ago. Its a low frequency but extremely high risk failure. The assumption is there was a kinked nichrome wire in his vest which then smouldered or caught fire. It burned him pretty bad before his suit melted enough to flood (with 40F water) and put it out. After getting 2/3rd degree burns he then had to contend with hypothermia for the remaining 20mins of his deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom