Good Ways to Mount a Drysuit Bottle in Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello sidemounters;

For those sidemount divers who carry a separate drysuit bottle (because trimix), where do you put it?

I have seen:
-skip the bottle, run an inflator on your 50% deco bottle;
-bottom mounted on the butt plate/butt portion of the crotch strap/clipped below the hip strap;
-back mounted along the spine strap underneath the wing;
-tucked up against a primary tank.

I'd like some good ideas for an al6 in particular and how you made it work. I have tried mine on the side and the butt so far, I didn't love either with the half-hearted rigging I did to try out the locations. Thanks.

My SM harness (a british sump diving harness) has two D-rings on the back (to the left and right of the spine). I have clipped a 1 litre 200 bar (7 cuft) suit gas bottle there horizontally in addition to the bottom gas tanks. My setup comprises waist mounted negative steel cylinders. No butt plate. I do it in the 1980's style and it is great!

I have used this setup for some easy trimix dives in the 45m ... 60m region (tx21/35 mostly).

Is a 6cuft enough for cave diving? I've heard mixed opinions on it.

It depends on the cave, does it not?

One can surely dive to 18 feet in a drysuit with no suit gas. Yes, I tried. It was the only way out. It was quite easy.

It is also possible to ascend from any depth without suit gas as it is only needed for descents. I tried that too, from -90 ft, a mine tunnel.

I have also been to -60ft with no suit gas and I am still alive but I would not recommend that to anybody. It was a near death encounter ... but ... yeah ... apparently doable. A million thanks to my buddy, who was aware of the situation.

It depends on the cave, does it not?

One can surely dive 18 feet in a drysuit with no suit gas. Yes, I tried. It was the only way out.
It is also possible to ascend from any depth without suit gas as it is only needed for descents.

I've dove to 90ft without suit gas. But that was an idiot mistake.

I've dove to 90ft without suit gas. But that was an idiot mistake.

I bet you know what suit squeeze means :D

It is great when you can still move your wrist to send that distress signal with you light. I've never loved my wrist more...

I bet you know what suit squeeze means :D

It is great when you can still move your wrist to send that distress signal with you light. I've never loved my wrist more...

I had enough mobility to hook the hose up myself.

I had enough mobility to hook the hose up myself.

That is great!
I did not.

It might have been partly physical, partly mental challenge, but I did need my buddy.

How I just did mine. Get to try it out next weekend. Inflating my suit with 20/20 finally got old as I was getting too cold.

B3A82C7D-A992-494C-8F99-81934D6B9562.jpeg

How I just did mine. Get to try it out next weekend. Inflating my suit with 20/20 finally got old as I was getting too cold.

View attachment 676723

Why mount that so high? Wouldn’t it be more streamlined down below the wing?

also, Don’t put helium in your suit. I don’t know when IBCD becomes a problem but why chance it?

Why mount that so high? Wouldn’t it be more streamlined down below the wing?

also, Don’t put helium in your suit. I don’t know when IBCD becomes a problem but why chance it?

I have short arms. I can easily reach the valve with it this way. Spent some time on my LR floor last night resting that out. No way would I be able to reach it lower. IBCD is an issue below 250ft, IIRC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom