Good snorkeling iin Florida Keys? Better to go to Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viva1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking my 12-year-old granddaughter snorkeling for the first time. She's a good swimmer. I live in California and am considering the Keys or maybe Hawaii. Is the snorkeling good in the Keys? If so, what are the best places to go? Is summer an awful time to go (too hot and humid?) or is it doable? We might me able to go for a week in December but I know it will be packed and more expensive then.

A friend has a house I could rent in Kauai, but it is expensive to get there. Also, I don't know how great the snorkeling is. He mentioned Kee Beach. Any thoughts? Is the Big Island a much better snorkeling place in Hawaii?

I dive, but this will be more of a snorkel trip for her.

Actually, summer is the time to come to the Keys diving. Yes, it is hotter in the summer, but there are fewer tourists. You see, summer keys is high season for divers, but right now is tourist season. This is not the busy time for diving because the water is rough and the visibility can be very poor. With that said, the last 2 weeks were awesome, but it's more of a crapshoot in the winter.

Anyplace in the keys will have fine snorkeling, but it will probably be best in Key largo. Pennecamp State Park is fabulous for snorkeling, or out on Molasses reef or any number of reefs between Key Largo and Marathon. Looe Key off of Big Pine Key will be spectacular snorkeling, and you will be able to find reasonably priced accommodations in Big Pine Key.

The only place I have snorkeled in Hawaii is Hanauma bay, which was great and very well protected. I have dived all over Hawaii, but can't speak to the snorkeling.

Actually, summer is the time to come to the Keys diving. Yes, it is hotter in the summer, but there are fewer tourists. You see, summer keys is high season for divers, but right now is tourist season. This is not the busy time for diving because the water is rough and the visibility can be very poor. With that said, the last 2 weeks were awesome, but it's more of a crapshoot in the winter.

Anyplace in the keys will have fine snorkeling, but it will probably be best in Key largo. Pennecamp State Park is fabulous for snorkeling, or out on Molasses reef or any number of reefs between Key Largo and Marathon. Looe Key off of Big Pine Key will be spectacular snorkeling, and you will be able to find reasonably priced accommodations in Big Pine Key.
Agreed. Grecian Rocks, Christ Statue, lots of good snorkeling up here. There is a guy who has written extensively about snorkeling here. His name is Brad Bertelli. Use this link to one of his articles on KeysNet:
'Aquarium' harbors a few secrets for visitors

I had a friend down recently and took her snorkeling, which was a new experience for me as a diver. It was a lot of fun and we saw all of the resident angelfish, lobster, nurse shark, stingray, and parrotfish. I saw more than I expected to see.

I can't speak about HI, but here's another vote for the Upper Keys.

Florida Keys/Key Largo/southern Florida, hands down !! Way more to see, way more to do, more culture, world class diving & snorkeling, more for your money, and just downright fun & adventurous. I live in So Cal and go to Southern Florida a couple of times a year, to dive, eat and chill. Haven't been to Hawaii in years, doesn't do a thing for me. Just my 2 cents, everyone is different.

A friend has a house I could rent in Kauai, but it is expensive to get there. Also, I don't know how great the snorkeling is. He mentioned Kee Beach. Any thoughts? I dive, but this will be more of a snorkel trip for her.

Kee Beach is on the north shore so I assume his house is also. IDK about Ke'e Beach but Tunnels Beach nearby is undivable in the winter when the big waves roll in. Pretty much all the north side diving shuts down then so I assume? snorkeling does also. And it's long drive from there to Lydgate Beach - even further to Poipu Beach on the south side to snorkel. In the summer the north shore would be fine. Tunnels is also a good shore dive. Check with Fathom Five, they do it regularly.

Is the Big Island a much better snorkeling place in Hawaii?
IDK - does she want to snorkel with Turtles and Manta Rays? She can snorkel on the Manta Ray night dive while you dive below her. Google Kahaluu Beach Park also - turtles and thousands of tropical fish. It's less than 10' deep a long way out - actually makes a lousy dive when you can stand up. Also there's Place of Refuge - easy shore entry or done by boat. At PoR you might see spinner dolphins also.

Last summer there were some relatively affordable condos on the Kona Coast - look on vrbo.com. It may change there in the winter so confirm the water conditions with someone who lives/works there. White Sands Beach nearby occasionally briefly washes away.

There's also Humpbacks off Kona in the winter.

there's a reason Snorkel Bob's was founded in Hawaii...

On the big island just south of Kailua-Kona........... Kahaluu Beach Park, Big Island
This is the best snorkel spot I've been to. On our second dive trip to Kona, we stayed in the hotel pictured next to the beach. Not too expensive and walk to great snorkeling. Also another vote for House of Refuge--a good place to get into deeper water quickly--just slide or jump in off volcanic rock steps--not as much apparent life, but waay interesting. A few more miles south of Kailua-Kona.........If I lived in CA, as I used to; I would go to Hawaii. If I lived in Florida, as I do now; I would go to the keys.

As an avid snorkeler who doesn't scuba dive, I feel especially qualified to answer this question. What it boils down is this: do you want to snorkel off the beach, or pay to go snorkeling offshore on a boat? Beach snorkeling, go for Hawaii. Boat snorkeling, go for the FL Keys. Unfortunately, the Keys do not have good snorkeling from the shore, which in my opinion limits them greatly for serious snorkeling. Good beach snorkeling is the holy grail for most snorkelers, and there are many places in Hawaii that have pretty good beach snorkeling. The best beach snorkeling in FL is actually around Ft. Lauderdale (Lauderdale-By-The_Sea), not the Keys.

the boat snorkeling/diving is decent in Looe Key (ramrod key,fl) - the reef is 6-8 ft at the shallowest and down to almost 25 at the deepest. The nice thing is you can dive or snorkel and then after the trip go hit up Duval Street in Key West for dinner and sightseeing.

the boat snorkeling/diving is decent in Looe Key (ramrod key,fl) - the reef is 6-8 ft at the shallowest and down to almost 25 at the deepest. The nice thing is you can dive or snorkel and then after the trip go hit up Duval Street in Key West for dinner and sightseeing.

I think that Duval Street is inappropriate for a 12 year old girl most times. It's OK during the day, but when the sun goes down and the drunks come out.....

IJS.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom