good rolling bag for wimpy diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenhonu

Registered
Reaction score
Lugging all of my gear around is a bit tough for my wimpy muscles so, I am looking for a bag that I can take on dive boats for basically day trips that will fit all of my gear and has some wheels so I can lug it from the car to the boat which is often farther than I would like it to be. Any suggestions? I would rather have a bag than a box so it isn't too bulky. Thanks:bounce: :tree:

Most dive boats i have been on hate to see you show up with one of those big...non foldable bags because they dont fit under the seat for anything and people are always tripping over them.

i just ordered from Armor their new web mesh extra large back pack. And, since there wasnt a dealer near me...they shipped it direct for only $40 including shipping. Havent tried it yet but it looks real good for the job.

good luck

hmmm good point, but aren't there any squishy foldable bags or bagpacks with wheels?

There may be, but i have not heard of any.

Think of it this way. All that should be going in a bag to take on a boat...normally....now i said normally....is your bcd...fins...mask...snorkel (yep i use one), dive suit (whatever), booties, maybe a hood, and you could put in your reg bag if you wanted. Now partner, I am pretty easy to get along with on this board...i dont slam anyone...i believe in your right to have an opinion...but if you cant carry that amount of gear....you might want to rethink diving as a hobby. (typed in the most respectful, friendliest, smiley way)

Your tanks dont go in there...you might slip in a pony bottle but that would add to the weight for sure.....i take one and sometimes i carry it on a tether by itself...sometimes in the bag...and i am 53...no god of fitness...but hump my own gear.

Could it be you are taking the local lds store with you? Or, you just have to park a mile away??? The problem with wheels....the guy that invented them found out...is they need axles to work best....or even mostly at all. If you put axles in the picture it dont fold for doo doo.

what are you carrying????

LOL, no you are right...I guess it isn't so much that it is heavy as the long distance part of it and the bc integrated weights I have to carry that aren't so convienient. More then amount of weight it is ease of lugging because the bag I have right now is the carry in one hand type and makes me kind of off balance and klutzy. I guess a backpack would be a good way to go for me. I just need something that will be kind of hardy or padded because I am not the most gentle with things....

I use a collaspable bag with a handle and wheels. Picked it up at K-Mart a couple of years ago. It smushes down fine and stores out of the way. I think it cost 45 bucks. Not padded. What my wife and I do is stuff our weights, wetsuits, regs masks and fins in it and hte lights and other gear go into the side pockets. We wear the BCD's ourself. Very easy to do with the one bag. If you need padded put your wetsuit along the outside and your stuff inside.

When we are cold water diving we each need our own bag, but in the tropics my shortie and her 3 mil farmer john fit in the same bag with the gear.

the bc integrated weights I have to carry that aren't so convienient. [/QUOTE]

One of the best tips I have been given is to go to Sears and pick up a small canvas tool bag to carry the weights. I can put both mine and my wife's in one bag. They have a good padded handle that make carrying them easy. And since they are built for tools they seem to be able to last. And the mesh bags will probably last longer without the weights.

Carl

I just purchased a Stahlsac bag and love it. It is wheeled, and doubles as a backpack. The dive boats I go on do not have a problem, and i personally hate the mesh bags. The bag I bought is just the right size to fit everything without much space left over, my fins go in the side pockets which are made for them. I got my bag from diversdiscount.com. I love it.

Danny

I have a couple of bags from the Mountain Equipment Co-Op that have seen over 50 trips overseas and they are still in great shape.

They have a new one that is huge, has wheels, shoulder strap and back pack straps for $130.00 cdn. The thing is bomb proof.

MEC Odyssey Duffle Bag

I hope this helps.

Also check out this thread Gear Bags

and you may also want to look for a thread by Dee, that talkes about real cool wheeled hard cases. If you can't find it PM her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom