Good Rigs to Dive out of Galveston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll get into deeper water faster and cheaper [less gas] if you depart from Freeport or Matagorda.

I second the advice on buying a map at Academy. That will also show you how far out the deeper [which translates to clearer] water is, depending on your departure point.

I'm usually always up for a trip to the rigs. Have all the gear for spearfishing...also have a portable rack for 6 80cf tanks.

I'm going to be out of the water for a few weeks (Need a nose job) When that's behind I'll be ready to go. I still have and if not can get good number for dive and fishing spots not visible from the surface. Wind and current are two biggies out there as you know.

Regards,

I am thinking of trying the Bucaneer Rigs. They are only about 27 miles from the Galveston jetties in about 60ft. I was fishing there about two weeks ago and could see a yellow jig to about 40ft below, so I am guessing the vis ought to be fine.

The reason I ask about Galveston is, first it is a lot closer to me, and second is that I have had bad experiences launching at Freeport, such as crowded ramps with cranky/inconsiderate boaters. It is hard the beat the GYB for launching. But this could be a whole other thread.

Thanks for responding, and I am still asking for some favorite rigs numbers to dive.

~~ HardHead

HardHead:
I am thinking of trying the Bucaneer Rigs. They are only about 27 miles from the Galveston jetties in about 60ft. I was fishing there about two weeks ago and could see a yellow jig to about 40ft below, so I am guessing the vis ought to be fine.

The reason I ask about Galveston is, first it is a lot closer to me, and second is that I have had bad experiences launching at Freeport, such as crowded ramps with cranky/inconsiderate boaters. It is hard the beat the GYB for launching. But this could be a whole other thread.

Thanks for responding, and I am still asking for some favorite rigs numbers to dive.

~~ HardHead

Do you have loran or loran to GPS conversion capability on your boat? Do you have a chart with lat/long overlay..Loran-C overlay? If I give you some numbers you'll need that to visualize where you're going. I think the Hot Spot fishing charts have a ton of rig numbers and loran overlay. You should check it out at Academy or Cut Rate or just about any bait shop. It will do great for your purposes until you start fishing/diving submerged structure.

Regards,

TwoBitTxn:
The only thing legal to spear in Texas Freshwater is carp.

TwoBit

Carp would be good practice, but if I ain't gonna eat it I don't wanna shoot it. In Okla. lakes (one less than an hour from me) and Ark. lakes catfish are legal for speargun if you have your temp. fishing license. Broken Bow is an easy afternoon trip for me. Should have clarified my definition of "local" better-what's close to my location. :wink:

Cudabait:
Do you have loran or loran to GPS conversion capability on your boat? Do you have a chart with lat/long overlay..Loran-C overlay? If I give you some numbers you'll need that to visualize where you're going. I think the Hot Spot fishing charts have a ton of rig numbers and loran overlay. You should check it out at Academy or Cut Rate or just about any bait shop. It will do great for your purposes until you start fishing/diving submerged structure.

Regards,

I have the charts that show the rig numbers, but a lot of the rigs should not be good for diving (bad vis, single pole structure, etc). I have a GPS and can plot lat and lon from a chart (I don't have any charts with TDs).

I am asking for good diving rigs based on positive experiences. I can certainly get a chart from Academy (one of my most favorite stores) with Loran C if needed.

Thanks again,
HardHead

We went to Brazos A-19 few weeks ago. Its at 40 miles from Matagorda. Its three separate four pile structures with catwalks linking them at the production decks so there is plenty of room to tie up. 130 ft depth. Good visibility.

We went to a single four pile structure about 15 miles out last Saturday. Could not tie up and vis was bad. Had to stick close to buddy. Didnt note the name.

Hardhead,

This is the good time of the year to do it. If you time is flexible (as is mine) watch the weather closely. Minimal wind is best. If you are going to go out of Galveston, there are lots of options. However you won't hit the 10 fathom line until farther out than Freeport. Anyway, here's what I'd do...put in at the galveston yacht basis (don't back your trailer off that ramp) Take a look a whatever chart you've got and look generally E/SE. I'm going to give you a few rigs that are easy to get to and at the same time you can take a look at several, depending on conditions. None of these are real deep. One is particularly neat because it is remarkably shallow. Rigs 179, 193 and 206 are kinda in a row going out that way. You'll see the 8 fathom rigs on the north side of the fairway. From the 206 you can check out the 199 on N. end of Heald bank. I've caught and speared literally tons of fish on these rigs. 206 is a little larger than the others. The 199 is on the bank in 30 feet of water. I've made some great 2nd and 3rd dives there. Also speared some sow snapper there. I'd run to the 206, checking the others on the way out for ling with fishing gear and checking the water conditions at the same time. If you find water that is really good, get in. It can change with a tide line anywhere. You can always get to the 206 and then the 199 and check the others on the way home. Oh, another thing, it isn't unusual for the water to be cloudy at the surface and pretty clear underneath. The downside is you gotta get in to find out.

Regards,

Now we are talking ... leiserom, I went to those A-19 rgis last year with a diving charter and you are correct, they are great rigs to dive, with several to choose from. They are a little farther from Freeport (47 miles) than Matagorda (39) miles.

Cudabait ... I found all of the rigs you mentioned except 206 (it is not on my charts). I found 200 and 207 in the general area of 199. I can see why spear fishing would be so good since they are all around the Heald Bank.

Thanks to all for the information I requested and I am ready to recieve more if you have any more recommendations.

I was hoping to go out this weekend, but the forcast took a turn for the worst last evening. I will check it again later today.

~~ HardHead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom