Good Reg for a new addict

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KenMusick

Reaction score
Hi all-

I am finally looking to purhcase my own equipment, after borrowing renting etc.. from numerous people.

I am looking to get a high quality reg, I live in chicago and would love to start in on lake michigan diving. However, all of my dives, other than checkouts at pearl lake, have been tropical, around 25 dives, up to 130'.

I was pondering the apeks atx200, the zeagle flathead, or the proton ice. I know that the higher quality regs are not necessary for tropical diving, the aqualung titan and legend are both great for this, but should I go ahead and get the better reg if I am going to do any lake, freshwater diving. I have no problem spending the extra money, budget is fine. Also are the three high end models possibly too advanced for my experience level etc...

Already settled on a bc, ranger, and it's a tossup between the twinjet fins (sp) or the volo power (mares), and input on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

KenMusick:
Hi all-

I am finally looking to purhcase my own equipment, after borrowing renting etc.. from numerous people.

I am looking to get a high quality reg, I live in chicago and would love to start in on lake michigan diving. However, all of my dives, other than checkouts at pearl lake, have been tropical, around 25 dives, up to 130'.

I was pondering the apeks atx200, the zeagle flathead, or the proton ice. I know that the higher quality regs are not necessary for tropical diving, the aqualung titan and legend are both great for this, but should I go ahead and get the better reg if I am going to do any lake, freshwater diving. I have no problem spending the extra money, budget is fine. Also are the three high end models possibly too advanced for my experience level etc...

Already settled on a bc, ranger, and it's a tossup between the twinjet fins (sp) or the volo power (mares), and input on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

I would personally choose the Apex ATX 200 with its Over-Balanced diaphragm, Environmental Dry Sealing System, and Pneumatically Balanced Valve System. They also have the most extensive warranty program in the industry. For the cold, dark, debris filled waters of quarries and lakes it will be bulletproof. Out of the three I personally feel this would be your best choice for where you live.

Other than some appearance issues, the high end Apeks, Zeagle Flatheads and Aqualung Legends are the same regulator-same design, same factory (for Apeks and Zeagle, at one time anyway) and now same US distributor (Apeks and Aqualung). Buy which ever one offers you the best price and service locally.

Zeagle is my choice. They are made by Zeagle and made in the US. Great cold water regs, I have 3 of them.

You can't go wrong with Zeagle or Apeks. There is no such thing as a reg that is too advanced for a beginning diver. You stick it in you mouth and breathe.

You should also check out Scuba Pro and Atomic regulators. Do your research, check out the warranty info. and you'll be fine.

I would give another vote to the Apeks. Not only are they a great reg, they have a great reputation in the industry. The environmental seal mentioned helps a great deal. Zeagle is also a great reg and is a little different than the Apeks with very little preformance. I think that these two are both a cut above the Mares thanks to their seal, adjustment, and performance. I would also look at servicability of the Apeks and Zeagle. If one is better than the other, you won't compromise by getting the one easiest to service locally. As for a reg being too much, I think that as long as you know how it works and know how to use it, it will be fine. It will be a reg that you can grow into and never have to upgrade....

ATX200 gets my vote. It's one tough reg. In all fairness, the older/larger regs such as Apeks TX50/100 or Scubapro MK25/G250, not to mention the new(ish) Apeks ATX100, are probably cheaper and just as good for cold water.

i have an ATX-200 and its great. one more vote for the apeks!

KenMusick:
Hi all-
I am looking to get a high quality reg, I live in chicago and would love to start in on lake michigan diving. Already settled on a bc, ranger, and it's a tossup between the twinjet fins (sp) or the volo power (mares), and input on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

Go for the new AquaLung Calypso. Outperforms most and costs next to nothing.
And hyped fins will just make you look stupid. On the avarage dive you won't notice any difference between space age fins and the regulars. It's all marketing, basically.

omeko:
Go for the new AquaLung Calypso. Outperforms most and costs next to nothing.
Costs next to nothing, yes. Outperforms most? Not likely. The calypso is an entry level regulator. Balanced flow through piston with a fairly large and bulky second stage. Kinda like the Scubapro Mk2. It is a good reg for the type of diving you may be doping now, however it is the kind of reg that you will likely trade in or upgrade for. So I guess the thought is that if you are going to stay to warmer, shallower type diving this reg would be ok. After that, you would only be disappointed as there is alot better out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom