Good reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone carry the Kent tooling line in the US? or have any suggestions on ordering one from across the pond?

Order direct from Kent tooling. I ordered some tank brackets for my rebreather from them two times. Every order has been seamless. Usually receive the product within a week

If you don’t want a sidewinder type reel, there is no better built reel than the Ralph hood-Larry Green reels.

I've found the DR slide lock to be great for this. Much easier to lock than other sidewinders. You should be braking the sidewinder with friction from your fingers as it goes up, not letting it free spool out. Do that and it's much easier to handle and you have much more control. I hold the handle with middle, ring, and pinky finger, and use my thumb and forefinger to apply pressure to the spool as it unwinds. Works a treat.

The Manta's seem nice but every one I've tried the locking mechanism ends up being super annoying. You relax a little and the thing locks and tries to yank it out of your hand, so you end up trying to choke the life out of it, which ends up being pretty unsustainable for very long. You'd be amazed at how much focus it takes to maintain full grip strength on something.

The Kent tooling stuff is nice, but it's just another reel. I have several and while the construction is very nice, it's not like it's some magical whiz bang thing that gets you in between two super models and a bank account that rivals the economy of a small nation state.

The Kent tooling stuff is nice, but it's just another reel. I have several and while the construction is very nice, it's not like it's some magical whiz bang thing that gets you in between two super models and a bank account that rivals the economy of a small nation state.

That actually makes it sound even more appealing.
Just another reel that is constructed very nice. No magical whiz bang stuff.
I think what I am liking about it is the locking pin and not a locking jam screw.

I still like the idea of the Manta, but the though of having to wind in 300' of line holding that lock handle doesn't sound that appealing. I may get one someday, but it will probably be a much shorter one.

And I don't want to be anywhere between a couple of greedy super models and a pile of cash they are after.

That actually makes it sound even more appealing.
Just another reel that is constructed very nice. No magical whiz bang stuff.
I think what I am liking about it is the locking pin and not a locking jam screw.

I still like the idea of the Manta, but the though of having to wind in 300' of line holding that lock handle doesn't sound that appealing. I may get one someday, but it will probably be a much shorter one.

And I don't want to be anywhere between a couple of greedy super models and a pile of cash they are after.

To be fair, the rEvo keeps the super models away to begin with, so I don't think you need to worry. They have standards.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the locking pin with the pull, twist design. Personal preference. They're fine reels, but people get all nuthuggery on them and, having used them, I can't see why. It's not like they're the Shearwater of the line-carrying world.....

I have 2 Manta reels and really like them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom