good quality cheap reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using the Dive Rite regs recently and they perform quite well and are not that expensive.

thanks for clearing that up about what is concidered "cold water". i looked up the alpha reg and found a couple to choose from. what one do you suggest? piston/diaphram?

Noting your point about who's using this. A piston, if it malfuntions will more than likely freeflow. Diaphrams stop delivering air. I dive with a diaphram. Flat head VI 1st stage with
ZX on primary and octo. I like diaphrams. IMO they breathe easier.
You will find a never ending debate on this subject. IMO you cant
beat the Alpha 7 for what you are looking for..:wink:

Bigsage136, I would be interested to find out why diaphragm regulators stop delivering air on a malfunction. Are you talking about damaged diaphragms?

I'm not a real expert on this, but what I gathered from reading a very good book (Vance Harlow's 'Scuba Regulator Repair and Maintenance') and prowling on internet discussions are the following:

Piston regulators are much more simpler. Often the only parts that need regular replacement in the first stage are two o-rings in the piston. Since it's simpler, it's easier to maintain, and fare better if there is an accidental flood. The moving part (the piston) contacts ambient water, which could potentially result in problems.

Diaphragm regulators are more complex, with more parts that need regular service. On an accidental flood, it goes bad pretty quickly. The moving parts are insulated from ambient water.

Some people claim that diaphragms are more responsive, but I think that probably isn't true, because that seems to be more the function of the second stage than the first.

I've read that tech divers have preferences for particular applications, but for recreational diving, it seems there's no real difference unless one is doing ice diving or diving in polluted water.

I just checked and the Alpha 7 with the diaphragm 1st stage is a little more expensive, but has one more HP port. (The piston 1st is not balanced, but from the reviews it seems that there's no appreciable performance difference. ) I think it will come down to whether you need a 2nd HP port, and what you prefer in terms of hose routing.

Have to agree that oceanic is great choice. Was looking for my wife a new reg and went to Divers Outlet in Orlando and they had the oceanic alpha 7 w/ px2 1st and the GT 2nd with the px2 1st both on sale for 149.00. I picked up 2 of the GT w/ px2. One for my wife and one for me untill I can afford Atomic, since my dacor cant be rebuilt anymore. We used them this past week on our cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. They performed perfect breathed very easy and have lifetime parts like scubapro. Highly recommend them. Our max depth was 87 ft. It is a balanced piston 1st stage w/ small GT second. there website is diversdirect.com its not listed on the site but could probably order by phone.

Jason

Ditto on the Sherwood. Blizzard is nice but unless you are in freezing climates or ice diving, it's not necessary. A plain old magnum will suit you just fine.

John

While we're talking about Oceanic, i have to mention one other reg. You said that this was going to be for your wife/girlfriend? You look into an oceanic Zeta. It boasts a tiny lightweight second stage, and a an incredible work of breathing chart. This way she can take it real easy when she is diving. and you can always choose your first stage. Maybe the PX2 for the convenience of the swivel or take the CDX5 Diaphragm for more serious diving with its environmental seal. Or if nshe is really into the deeper stuff and wants a bulletproof first stage take the DX4 with the 'R' port. this is the equivalent of the sherwood 'pri' or primary port. it has a little boost of airflow compared to the other low pressure ports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom