Good price for a complete starter kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motorref

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Everyone has money concerns, so bargains are awfully appealing sometimes. However, being a self-proclaimed newbie, my best advise to you would be to (1) determine what type of diving will interest you (some gear will support different activities better than others) and (2) develop a good relationship with a LDS if you can. If you do your research on equipment based on the type of diving you want to learn, follow that with an honest, open discussion with your LDS on equipment selection. The LDS generally will help you put the kit together and show you how to use it. They will probably be able to service it or provide warranty support. My $0.02.

I think if you give the folks at Leisure Pro a call, they can do you a lot better.
My original setup cost about that, but included a Sherwood Wisdom 2 air integrated computer.

Last edited:
You'll have to shop around and see. The link you gave indicates the package lets you save $500 but was the package really worth $1500 to begin with or was it over priced so they could then discount it.

What I would recommend doing is look at what gear you would buy if there was no discount. Shop around and see what the best price you can find it. Some manufacturers will only let stores advertise Manufacturer's Suggest Retail Price (MSRP) but if you call the store they can sometimes offer discounts for package deals as well. If you are mixing and matching, they can sometimes charge you MSRP for one item and under-price another item so the total cost works out to be a good deal.

Last edited:
Everyone has money concerns, so bargains are awfully appealing sometimes. However, being a self-proclaimed newbie, my best advise to you would be to (1) determine what type of diving will interest you (some gear will support different activities better than others) and (2) develop a good relationship with a LDS if you can. If you do your research on equipment based on the type of diving you want to learn, follow that with an honest, open discussion with your LDS on equipment selection. The LDS generally will help you put the kit together and show you how to use it. They will probably be able to service it or provide warranty support. My $0.02.

I'm a newbie too so don't take my word as gospel, but I think this is pretty sound advice. When I got certified, I developed a good relationship with my instructor who at the time was managing the dive shop I use. One thing that he stressed to me was to determine what kind of diving you planned on doing and getting the gear that you were going to want for that kind of diving, as opposed to getting a starter package that you would outgrow. Part of his point was that while you can get a cheaper package to start out, it will cost you more in the long run if you're replacing everything in the near future.

Edit: BTW, forgot to mention that I was able to order my equipment recently (they're still waiting on the BCD to come in) and they gave me what I feel is a great deal. I saved over $400 off list prices on quality equipment that should last a long time.

Last edited:
I understand that not everything will be perfect or fit as well as I want, but for a beginner not knowing much about the differences in regulators, BCs, etc., a package deal seems like a good place to start.
If you don't know much about gear the answer isn't to just buy something, it's to learn about gear. You still might not get it all right the first time, but you're bound to be a lot closer.

If you buy a pre-defined package because its easier you're likely to soon discover you don't like part of it. Even if it was actually a good price, it won't be when you decide to replace the BC in a year. Now if you can find a bunch of stuff you like at one place you may be able to get them to give you a better deal on it, IMO that's usually the only sort of package deal that is a good idea.

Fit is really important. You SHOULD make sure it fits as well as you want. Part of the point of getting your own gear is to get stuff that fits.

If you don't know much about gear the answer isn't to just buy something, it's to learn about gear. You still might not get it all right the first time, but you're bound to be a lot closer.

If you buy a pre-defined package because its easier you're likely to soon discover you don't like part of it. Even if it was actually a good price, it won't be when you decide to replace the BC in a year. Now if you can find a bunch of stuff you like at one place you may be able to get them to give you a better deal on it, IMO that's usually the only sort of package deal that is a good idea.

Fit is really important. You SHOULD make sure it fits as well as you want. Part of the point of getting your own gear is to get stuff that fits.

That's a good point that I forgot to mention in my post above. I told them what I was looking for and they put together a package price for me since I was buying it all from them, and I knew the individual prices beforehand.

Last night my son-in-law was looking at the Leisure Pro site and told my son that he should look at getting one of those low-dollar packages from them just so he wouldn't have to rent equipment. Nothing wrong with Leisure Pro, and I've bought from them a few times, but I was glad to know that my son has been listening to me when he said he's going to wait and get the gear that he wants rather than getting something else just to have it.

I would strongly advise against any package deals for a new diver. Simply because don;t know what you need, what is appropriate, and if it will work for you. One of the things I do is offer equipment consults for anyone based on a few criteria.
1. What is your experience level?
2. What type of diving interests you?
3. Do you have an idea of what you'd like to be doing a year from now?
4. How much is your budget?

Notice that I do not ask about choice of brands, shops, manufacturer, etc. That is all irrelvant. What matters is your needs, and means to meet those needs. I have not looked at the package and will do so later after work but it may be that you'll find yourself replacing everything in 6 months. Or not happy with it. You do not have to settle for poor fit, less performance, or not what you really need. It does take some creativity and advice from an experienced diver or divers (and some research). Preferably one not associated with a shop. One of the reasons I would not work for a shop is as an independent I am under no presssure to push certain items. I have have strong recommendations but they are based on my experience, quality of merchandise, and cost. I would never recommend an $800 bc to anyone at any time or a $500 cold water reg to a vacation diver.

I agree with Insta-Gator in regard to thinking about the type of diving you plan to do. Not just now, but for the forseeable future, as well as hooking up with an LDS that you like and trust (for most people this is where they were certified). You also need to consider the brand(s) for equipment you choose as it relates to where you'll have it serviced. As far as buying online goes be certain the dealer you use is licensed by the maufacteror of what you buy because that's the ONLY place you'll be able to get warrenty work done. So, having said all that, I think if you do your homework and are honest with yourself, you should be able to put together a set of gear that will last you many years. One other thing, don't sucked into going cheap. Buy the best quality gear you can afford. The idea here is to have gear you're happy with and can dive in until it wears out.

Good luck

:D

Prepackaged "deals" ALWAYS favor the seller. That is why they put them together. I suggest that you do some research/trials on various gear, then put together your own package based upon the parameters given above by Jim. Unless you are in a financial bracket where you can afford costly mistakes, TAKE YOUR TIME.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom