Good place for shore-diving, with reasonable air-fare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

Anybody know of anyplace in the Carribean with good shore diving, and reasonable air-fare from the US?

I'd like to do Bonaire, but the air-fare is phenominal, there aren't a lot of flights I can find, and getting there and back takes an entire day each way.

Any suggestions?

Terry

You already named the place, air is very expensive everywhere. Try CoCo View in Roatan Honduras. Again the air is phenomenal due to fuel and other taxes.

Curacao is really your only other option for shore diving. There are other places like Grand Cayman with some shore diving but lodging and food will eat up any savings on air. Before totally writing off Bonaire, do total cost comparison. While getting there is no doubt a huge PITA and costly, there are some fairly reasonable places to stay. Liz at GRI can fix you up with everything you need except food for around $550 a week. The other year I was pricing a trip to the keys with a buddy who lives in Tampa. Driving his car so no rental car and figuring on 4 dives a day, I found we could go to Bonaire for just $100pp more than the Keys, guess where we ended up. On occasion AJ offers a good (well as good as air gets) out of Chicago and Continental does the overnight flight out of Huston. A travel agent may be able to help you find some other deals.

Like others have said, Curacao should be high on your list. American has flights through Miami regularly.

Just came across this yesterday...5 nights in Curacao at the Marriott through Apple Vacations; $885 including airfare from Chicago O'Hare. The Marriott isn't as dive orientated as Habitat or Sunset Waters but the accomodations are very nice; we spent 7 nights there this past January although I dove with Sunset Divers up west...my wife, a non-diver, needed the pampering.

http://www.applevacations.com/special.do?command=showSpecials&selectedGateway=ORD&categoryId=424

Thanks!

I'll have to take a look at it.

Having other stuff besides diving would make it more fun for my non-diving wife. :cool:

Terry

O'Malley:
Just came across this yesterday...5 nights in Curacao at the Marriott through Apple Vacations; $885 including airfare from Chicago O'Hare. The Marriott isn't as dive orientated as Habitat or Sunset Waters but the accomodations are very nice; we spent 7 nights there this past January although I dove with Sunset Divers up west...my wife, a non-diver, needed the pampering.

http://www.applevacations.com/special.do?command=showSpecials&selectedGateway=ORD&categoryId=424

Web Monkey:
Having other stuff besides diving would make it more fun for my non-diving wife. :cool:

Terry

IMHO, your wife would enjoy Curacao more than Bonaire. You will want to stay at either the Marriott or Breezes. Both high on the pampering.

That is a good price with Apple. It is only 5 days however. :sad_2: You will only have 2 days of diving. You'll lose 2 days in traveling, plus you wont be able to dive the day before departure. You may be able to squeeze in a dive or two on the day you arrive, and get in 3 days of diving, but that is a long way to go for only a couple days diving.
Check with Apple & see if they have a 7 day trip, it is usually not much more to add on a couple days, as the flight is the most expensive thing. Another option for you is to fly to Aruba & then take Bonaire Excel to Curacao. I did this when I went to Curacao and when I went to Bonaire. You can sometimes get very cheap airfare to Aruba, as more carriers fly there than to Curacao or Bonaire. However, if it's only a hundred bucks or so difference, I'd pay the extra money w/ Apple for a direct flight. The connecting flight in Aruba adds significant travel time to your trip, due to the hassel of clearing customs in Aruba, claiming your luggage, checking in w/ Bonaire Excel etc...

It looks like it's about $260 more p/p to add an extra 2 days, with Apple.

The flight is not a non-stop however, so the Aruba flight with a connection on Bonaire Excel might be cheaper and not take much longer.
You can check Hotel Only prices, with Apple, if you wanted to do airfare with someone else.

Kat:
.....That is a good price with Apple. It is only 5 day however. :sad_2: You will only have 2 days of diving. You'll lose 2 days in traveling, plus you wont be able to dive the day before departure. You may be able to squeeze in a dive or two on the day you arrive, and get in 3 days of diving, but that is a long way to go for only a couple days diving.

Because of the shore diving you could actually do a lot of dives if you want. 1 or 2 dives the day you arrive. Up to 5 dives on the 2nd and 3rd day. 2 dives the morning before you leave if you get up early.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom