Good news for Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagerbeaver

Contributor
Reaction score
There have been a number of meetings over the last few months with many of Malapascua's business operators in attendance - including Evolution of course - to try and raise awareness and fight illegal fishing.

Hopefully the governor will stand by her promises after election fever calms down. If so then things look good for the future.

29306_388585182749_649272749_4539118_1130382_n.jpg

Great news!

That would be fantastic if it happens. I have been telling people for years to avoid Malapascua because of the bombing. It's a great place but very disturbing to see thousands of fish dying on the reef in front of your eyes at some sites when the current is wrong. Worse is when they are swim bladders and brains are screambled and they flop around in the water banging into you.

Malapascua is such a lovely, wonderful little island that needs & deserves all the protection it can get!

i love malapascua becasue to me its a good combination of that lost paradise feel and some modern amenities like dive shops and decent resorts.
this is good news indeed and i plan to go back there within the year.
hopefully there should even be more fish in gato island

If they don't kick the Borangay official into shape nothing will happen. Rumer has it that she and her family are in the business of selling dynomite besides handing around governance of the Borangay to each other. Sorry, I've been to Malapacua many times over the last seven years and it could be paradise if they could get rid of the dynomite fishing and over fishing. I think the over fishing will be a greater challenge as I see the island getting more and more crowded over the years as the islanders and thier small bamboo huts get pushed aside by development.

I am not optimistic about it but still reserve a little hope. I have heard dynamite here at a Panglao dive site while diving as well as in Cabilao.

There are an estimated 90 million people in the Philippines. Fish and rice is one of the main one food sources, if not number one. If a man needs to feed his family by catching fish to keep/sell he will do so regardless of any laws. I see fishermen every day here on the reefs in Alona Beach. These reefs are almost void of any large fish.

If there was to be a showdown between local people catching fish to eat and foreigners coming to scuba dive, I have no doubt whom the government would side. IMHO enforcement of fishing rules is near impossible.

In all fairness to the Philippines scientists seem to agree that 90% of the world's large fish are gone from over-fishing. Without worldwide extreme measures it's just a matter of time until the remaining 10% are gone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom