Good light for deep dive - advanced open water cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ikelite PC lite is good for a small, bright light. Fits in a pocket, I use one for a backup, but could be used as a main light for OW stuff. As for where you are diving, if you are going off the NJ/NY coast, at 85 ftsw, its not black, but its not the brightest either. Most boats there do 2 dives, so that would satisfy the AOW distinct dive requirements. Now, if you are going south or to the islands, it should be very light at depth. Have a good time!

Going to the Florida Keys - so I guess the light shouldn't be too much of an issue. But I still need a good portable light anyway. Thanks for all the advice from all!

I just went though a big search on a similar subject. I went with the Tova Nova at the bottom of the page, Diving Backup Lights - Dive Gear Express and it is on sale. For me I wanted a light that either ran on AA or CR123 as I keep them around for other gear I have. Most lights I see took AAA or C and didnt want to have to remember to buy yet another style.

I have not had this light in the water yet (just got them a day ago) but on land they look good with fairly tight spots and just enough flood.

Really liking the TovaTec Nova! I think that's the light i'm gonna go with. Thanks!

Really liking the TovaTec Nova! I think that's the light i'm gonna go with. Thanks!
Do be aware that is a wide angle light. Beam Angle is 43 degrees. Many folks have had issues with the switches, although they may have resolved the problem. Personally I don't want a switch but a twist front for reliablity.

The Penetrator is more fixed focus and therefore better for signaling and pushing thru poor vis.

Here is a quick comparison and of course all the lights have probably evolved to the latest LED technology.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...i-220-vs-intova-4-7w-wide-vs-uk-sl4-eled.html

As Jim stated above if doing night dives I would consider at least one backup mandatory. I carry a primary can light plus a backup on every dive, and add one more backup if night diving.

I'll buy good backup with posibility to change focus with 3xC size bateries (enough energy , simple battery exchange) These lights fit in any situation , enough small and enough powerfull for simple dive .... and they are METALL ! (it is possible to upgrade LED ;-))

- like Spot 9 º/ Flood 35 º ....Kowalski LED Focus Kowalski LED Focus. Torches Torches led, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive ...170€

-or variable light beam 3° to 25°.....
MBSUB-X1VB mb-sub.com: X1 - VB LED-flashlight 183€ /
MB Sub X1-VB (3C) back up torch on test - DIR Explorers ....192€

costs little more but it is real light , not some toy

I prefer the buy once and cry once philosophy. If you are going forward in your future diving ( deeper, cave, wreck) you will likely wind up with a can light at some point. If that is the case and you can afford it now I might buy one now. Remember that you don't have to buy new. If it's not in the budget now I would shop the ads for something that is upgradable and you will use in the future for a back up light. I use the Photon Torpedo as a back up light and like them alot. Several other brands are very similar and most are upgradable with a LED module to at a laterr date. Most of these lights are very tough and simple so I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. If you have any DIY skills you can probably find enough used parts around to assemble a good can light on the cheap. If your on the cheap remember that a major area of savings is in the battery pack. My SLA battery is just as bright as the other technologies available it's just larger. Good luck with your quest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom