good LDS in NYC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying:
Village Divers is on 4th St. between 2nd and 1st.

Haven't been there, but have heard it's pretty kick ***. Of course they only built it after I moved from 4th and A.

Probably for the best. If I had an shop a block from me I don't think I'd ever get anything done. Ever.

I used Village Divers and then switched to a different LDS, because I was so unimpressed with Village Divers. The gear they had for the classes malfunctioned every time I used it. They made us buy wetsuits for the class. And they tend to cost more than other shops. I can't blame them for the prices, since they are in Manhattan and probably paying through the nose for a closet-like space. But, unfortunately, because their space is so small, you also end up with less of a selection for equipment.

All in all, I would choose a different shop. Personally, I love Ocean Rock out on Long Island, but that's a hike from the city.

I'd pass on Village also. If you were interested in diving locally, I would recommend Stingray Divers. They sell Zeagles, though they'll probably recommend a BP/W. Pablo is friendly and his prices are good.

If you're only diving warm water, then Pan Aqua is good. Good instructors, good selection, but ridiculously expensive.

This article written a bit ago in nymag.com is spot on as far as I am concerned...link

Some LDS's weren't mentioned, but the one's that get the most positive comments were.

Many people say the SAME things we are saying here everytime this topic comes up on this forum. I think I speak for all NYC divers when I say that I hope all LDS's can profit and find a place in the NYC market for years to come. Obviouslt that is a plus for all of us. Nonetheless, I think that all these shops mentioned above (first hand experience) and at other times in the past should take notice of what is being written about them. The opinions here are pretty consistant, both negative and positive, with little deviation in the last 3 years I have been a member of scubaboard.

Hrm... do any of these places have a pool or something where i can try the equipment out at?

scc135:
Hrm... do any of these places have a pool or something where i can try the equipment out at?
A pool in NYC is a very tough thing. Yet another reason a NYC LDS is at a disadvantage and why many NYC divers (I suspect) shop online for some things. Some NYC LDS's use the YMCA or other gyms or hotels etc.. for basic training. You will be hard pressed to find a pool on hand in NYC ALWAYS ready to try gear out in the water. In the case of Pan Aqua, I know from taking my dry suit class from them that they use a pool upstairs at a gym (yes I did say upstairs :11: ) from the shop in midtown Manhattan but again I don't believe it is ALWAYS available to them. Seems strange to say "pool upstairs" being from Florida! Call them and ask though just to be sure. As a matter of fact, call a few shops, ya never know what deals may have been worked out between the shops and the local pools. Perhaps someone with specific info on this issue will post. I can say from personal experience that I have never been offered the chance to try gear oput in the water in NYC in a local pool for free and I have spent thousands on gear and training in many LDS's here.

I do know that many shops in LI and Jersey do have pools on site but I have never been to them. Sorry.

Good luck and safe diving! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom