Good Inexpensive Camera for Beginner??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the yellow ring creature would be CYPHOMA AKA Flamingo tongue. Probaly the easiest critter to photograh as they are easy to focus with all those spots, plus they hardly move at all. There are a number of types, but I think that one (correct me if I am wrong) C.Gibbosum or something like that

Good first shots. Shrink them to 480x640 or something close before posting, though. Then we'll be able to look at them without scrolling all over the page. If you're on Photobucket, there's a resizing option below the picture. Just hit Edit, then click 3/4, 1/2, etc.

Good first shots. Shrink them to 480x640 or something close before posting, though. Then we'll be able to look at them without scrolling all over the page. If you're on Photobucket, there's a resizing option below the picture. Just hit Edit, then click 3/4, 1/2, etc.

Sorry guys, I thought they were small when I posted those big ones.

The info on the white balance probably just added a ton more items to the photo collection my g/f has started from our diving already. We should be getting into digital soon, will make a difference every where we dive but Hudson, can't see in that water anyway.

Chris

I purchased a Sea&sea DX750 G. It came in a complete kit with a stobe and housing. I have mot used it on many dives yet, but for the dives I have used it i was quite happy with it. I would love to get another stobe for it becasue the one what came in the kit really does not do much for the water where I live. Regardless it still takes fantastic pics above and below the water.

Micah, I could view all of your pictures just fine. No scrolling. Maybe your monitor and mine are set to higher resolution (mine is set at 1280x1024) than other people monitors.

Jpsexton, thanks for recommending a very affordable camera with housing. If I had not chatted with diverrick, I would have bought it. That camera doesn’t seem to have the important White Balance feature. After knowing the advantages of WB, I don’t think I would buy an underwater camera without the WB feature. Thanks anyway. :)

Diverrick, thanks for the name of the mysterious yellow ring creature. :)

Thanks everyone for your opinion!

I could not pass on the Pixtreme. Many of our dives a photographer diver is provided. For a fee, you buy a high quality video of your dive to bring home.

I can not see spending $500 or more for a few of my own photos.... But for $90 (at Newegg) with a free 256K SD card, I could not pass.

It is small enough to fit in my BC pocket, and I tie a long string to my BC so I wouldn't drop it. I have not used it with a flash, but 2 AAA batteries lasted me about 2 dives, and about 50 photos. Supposedly the provided rechargeble last longer, but I have not found a charger for it.

Without flash, the camera is too slow, so 1 out of ever 2 photos are too blurry. The delayed snap to picture time is at least 1/10 of a second, so half of the time, your object is already out of the frame. Of the 50 photos, about 20 were keepers - just enough to make memory of the trip, but certainly not enough to publish.

With good light - the photos were excellent. They do have a flash kit, and macro lenses. I believe the whole package with flash, macro, extensions, cost less than $500.

The best thing I like about the pixtreme is that I tuck it in my BC, and pull it out only when I want to. It doesn't get in the way of boarding and unboarding of dive boats, I don't need help getting it back on board in rough sea, and if I broke it, it is less than $100 to replace.

Back
Top Bottom