Good fins for petite woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
What's a good cold water fin for a petite woman? I'm 5'5" tall 116 lb.

We do go to Cozumel on occasion so it has to be something that handles currents.

My petite gal uses large Jets, but the Hollis F1's are good also. It is a very subjective topic. There are light fins vs heavy fins, and split fins vs paddle fins. Do you only dive in Cozumel or do you dive locally too?

What kick do you use?

If you're looking for something more neutral in the water, the Dive Rite EXPs come in smaller sizes. They work very well for frog kicks, back kicks, and helicopter turns, but have a little more blade area than the Slipstreams. I think TSandM is using them these days.

Last edited:
I suggest a paddle style fin over a split fin. Also for a petite woman, I suggest a lighter weight fin than Jetfins or Hollis F1s.
These fins are relatively lightweight, are effective for frog kicks, scissorkicks, back kicks and modified kicks.

These are a little stiffer and more powerful, and have built in spring strap.
EXP Spring Heel Fins by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

I personally use these and find them to be forgiving, yet powerful and versatile for all kicks.
Hollis F2 Fins discounts on sale Hollis

These are lightweight. We use these for our students. They are very forgiving and not quite as powerful as the above fins.
Oceanic USA Warrior Viper Fins discounts on sale Oceanic

The thing I like about the Dive Rite EXPs is that they have a relatively long and large area blade for the foot pocket size. I used L Jets for a long time, but they are tiny, and you end up kicking like a bumblebee or hummingbird to keep up with your larger-footed buddies. (I'm 5'4" and 120 pounds, btw.)

My petite gal uses large Jets, but the Hollis F1's are good also. It is a very subjective topic. There are light fins vs heavy fins, and split fins vs paddle fins. Do you only dive in Cozumel or do you dive locally too?

What kick do you use?

Thanks a lot everyone. I'll check out your suggestions.

To answer your questions, I don't dive locally cause I don't like cold water (I just like the straps cold water fins have). I do go to other places around the world like I'm planning to go to the Phillipines and Malaysia.

Kick type is nearly always scissor though frog if I'm in a cavern area (I've only done one cavern so far). I think safety is top priority for me though I'm not 100% sure if the fins will make the difference between life and death in a strong current. Next is efficiency since I'd rather not tire out.

I find a frog kick is far more relaxing since it is a power and glide where your body gets a break for a couple of seconds. Getting some specific training on kicks and trim would improve your fun in the water. I know it sounds weird, but once you are solid and have control of where you want to go both forward and backwards, etc., you can relax and enjoy the dive without worrying about running into an object. For that kind of diving paddle type fins are king. Spring straps are the best and what every fin should come with. Those plastic quick release buckles break far to often, and they are harder to get on and off. Spring straps just don't have those issues.

Cold water is awesome as long as you are warm. I find I am warmer in my drysuit diving locally then I am in a wetsuit in the tropics. Of course I will now usually wear my drysuit in the tropics.

To answer your questions, I don't dive locally cause I don't like cold water (I just like the straps cold water fins have). I do go to other places around the world like I'm planning to go to the Phillipines and Malaysia.

Kick type is nearly always scissor though frog if I'm in a cavern area (I've only done one cavern so far). I think safety is top priority for me though I'm not 100% sure if the fins will make the difference between life and death in a strong current. Next is efficiency since I'd rather not tire out.
I would strongly recommend split fins. The Scubapro Twin Jets work well with a scissor kick - twice the power , half the effort!

They are an excellent warm water fin. You can also get them in Fun colors - pink, white, blue etc.

Just say NO to split fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom