Good diving resort in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I was down there last year and I've never seen so many divers crammed on a boat as Amory Divers had. I mean it must have been 50 divers."

Have been on thier boats in May with 7 divers and 30 divers; depends on the weekend.

CAPT HOOK:
"I was down there last year and I've never seen so many divers crammed on a boat as Amory Divers had. I mean it must have been 50 divers."

Have been on thier boats in May with 7 divers and 30 divers; depends on the weekend.

I guess that's true with any time it's busy with a big weekend. BTW... the weekend I saw 50 (+/-) divers on their boat it was 4th of July weekend. (so larger crowds are definately expected.)

But still, while the USCG rates a boat for XYZ number of passengers, that doesn't mean that 50 divers can operate safely off it. Maybe a few of them were snorkelers, but there was nothing but tanks and gear lined up along the sides. As some point and time they just have to say "we are full" instead of keeping to take reservations....

I just see no way that many divers could be handled in the event that one or two of them had an emergency. Maybe I'd get on their boat if they had a normal crowd of under 20 divers, but not 50. my 2 cents worth.

I've also dove with Amy's in May and will be doing so again. May 14th thru 19th and I dive during the week. perhaps this is the difference but there was never more than 12 when we were down last year during the first week of May. In fact on one trip there were three divers and one bubble watcher. The three were me, Amy herself and one of her instructors:D . That was a great trip! No time limits on the Duane (1st dive)and the second was a drift dive where the boat followed us. If the OP is interested PM me and I'll give you some details of trip that we are taking from our shop. It is for lodging and diving only. As others have said in the keys you fly into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and drive down. So many restaurants that to package one is impractical and many people like to fly when they want or even drive. We usually also plan a day at John Pennenkamp and one in Key West but again it's up to the individual. I personally don't like somebody I don't know setting up an itinerary for me. To much structure makes me lazy and I always seem to miss things I wanted to see. Thats why so far one cruise was enough for us.

smilies-41093.png

I've been there many time, never known of it done that way there, but then I wouldn't want it that way there. Its' simple. Book flights, book a Full-size car, drive to Key Largo at your leisure in an hour from Miami, 2 from Ft.Lauderdale. Most Ops do have deals with hotels, but eat wherre you want to and have fun.

It does help with discussions if you complete your Profile. And it's even more fun when you load an Avatar (personal pic for each post) and a Profile pic. See UserCP to access these if you'd like to...? :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: and be careful about posting Threads & Replies without reading the Stickies at the tops of most forums. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom