Good Deco Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I leave for the dive boat in 30 minutes so I'm too lazy to do a search on the subject. Flame me if you wish.

I dive a Uwatec Aladin Pro and have for over five years. It's been good to me and I trust it.

However, I'm doing a lot more deep diving these days with deco stops in the 5-25 min range using that computer's algorithm. I always way over extend my deco stops, usually doubling and even tripling them so I'm pretty conservative.

I need a second computer and want one that is better suited for assessing my deco needs. I dive "cold" (50-55 degree) water most of the year and dive to depths not exceeding 200 ft, currently all on air. Please don't lecture me on this... I have been diving 45+ years and am pretty familiar with the profiles I can do, and the risks involved in some of them. I do plan to do some mixed gas training and eventually dive doubles on these deeper dives.

Welcome any suggestions regarding a good computer that can address these needs. I'm a marine biologist, not a medical professional, so price is an issue.

TIA

Take a look at the Diverite mixed gas computers.. the Duo, etc. Another option is a VR-2 (nitrox only) or VR-3 (mix) but those cost quite a bit more.

Only thing I don't like about the Cochrans, from what I understand, is that they force a gas switch on you when you hit the appropriate depth.

loosebits:
Take a look at the Diverite mixed gas computers.. the Duo, etc. Another option is a VR-2 (nitrox only) or VR-3 (mix) but those cost quite a bit more.
I use a Nitek HE, which is an interesting computer in that the algorithm (Buhlmann?) doesn't seem to "like" helium ... depending on the mix it puts me into deco very early in the dive, while my dive buddy's EMC-20H puts him into deco much later on the same mix.

Oh the other hand, the Nitek LOVES O2 ... I'm often amazed by how fast it reduces the deco schedule when I switch over to pure O2 (well, the computer will only let you program it for 99% but that's close enough).

The major gripe I have about the Nitek, however, is that you need to press a sequence of buttons to make a gas switch ... and those buttons are kind've small to be pressing with dry gloves on. I've bent the living bejeebers out of the computer twice now because it didn't make the switch when I pressed the button sequence.

Not that it matters a whole lot ... I do my deco schedule off the tables anyway. But then you have to live with a computer that nags you incessantly while refusing to cooperate for the next two days ... kind've reminds me of some former girlfriends ...

loosebits:
Only thing I don't like about the Cochrans, from what I understand, is that they force a gas switch on you when you hit the appropriate depth.
That's the reason I decided not to get one ... I want the ability to make my gas switch on the computer when I make it on the bottle ... not automatically at a predetermined depth ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bill, why not simply get a newer Aladin?

Uwatec has added microbubble levels to its original algorithm. You can set it from level 1 to 5 depending on how conservative you want it to be. L0 doesn't take microbubbles (MB) into account, L1 to L5 does. L5 is most conservative. If you miss some of the deep stops Aladin will reduce to a less conservative level recalculating your stops up to L1. I normally dive L1 profile.

Check this graph taken from the manual:

aladin.jpg

DiveRite has several nice picks.

mislav:
Bill, why not simply get a newer Aladin?
Good Point, especially since you trust your current Aladin.

I dove a Aladin Prime and have now switched to a Tec. I'm also looking at a Tec 2G for a Second computer.

I was considering a Cochrane, but being forced to switch gases bothers me.

The DM at Bikini has a few recomendation for Computers, it might make for a little interesting reading.

http://www.bikiniatoll.com/divemaster advice.html

The Computer info is about mid page.

ianr33:
How many gasses are you using Bill?

His first message said all his dives were on air. I assume he's decoing on air as well. He does mention wanting more training, so which computers to consider depends to a degree on what mixes he plans to eventually dive. Bill?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom