Good Deal ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not familiar with the name Seac at all.

On the octo, I'll offer a usage suggestion. Lots of people hook them up & then never use them. This bothers me, without periodic use you really don't know if it's going to work when you need it. I always take several breaths off my octo whenever I pressurize the reg, in addition to my primary. I also swap regs fairly often during safety stops. Spit out the primary & switch to the octo, and stay on it until I'm back in the boat.

These things help ensure that it is clean & operating properly, long before a failure could prove life threatening.

Also, in an OOA situation the diver needing air will typically grab your primary. Expect a hand to reach over your shoulder & just take it from your mouth, not the nice, civilized exchange of signals from class. The point being that it is quite likely that you will be breathing off the octo, not your buddy. Pick one that will perform good enough to suit you if it's needed, not your buddy.

Mark Vlahos:
You can breathe on any second stage upside down. It might be a little wet, but it will provide air. After taking a couple of breaths then turn it right side up.

The one time I donated air to a low on air diver he took several breaths on my upside down second stage before he flipped it over.

Mark Vlahos

I see... thanks. In this case I might just twist the sales rep's arm a little more and see if I can get a matching Octo with my 2nd stage.

nightcat:
I see... thanks. In this case I might just twist the sales rep's arm a little more and see if I can get a matching Octo with my 2nd stage.

I think you are on the right track. I am not trying to get you to do somthing you don't want to do. I am trying to get you to think all the way through the problem. The example I have used is your octo, but the lesson applys to all of diving. As Wayward Son has suggested you should, as I do, breathe off of your backup second stage during every dive. This will accomplish two important things. First, it will ensure that you are familiar with the backup and that it is working properly. Second, it will make you more comfortable not having a second stage in your mouth. If your primary regulator gets knocked out of your mouth during a dive you will not freak out, since you are accustomed to having no regulator in your mouth for a short time on every dive.

Have fun with whatever gear you decide on and dive often.

Mark Vlahos

I know what you mean. And after some thought I think you're right. I certainly don't want to regret after I paid the money. This way I cry only once. Better be safe than sorry and cry a little more.

Back
Top Bottom