Good deal on AL80's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

volyblmn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found someone who's selling a couple "unused" aluminum 80's that are about 10 years old. (I say "unused" because I have yet to see them to verify it.) Assuming they are new/unused I was looking more for opinions on whether or not $75 each is a good deal -- they're both out of hydro so total cost to me would be about $200.

Well, considering you can get 2 new AL 80's for $269.91+shipping from scubatoys(including SB discount), I would probably save up the other hundred bucks rather than risk the hydro failure for 10 year old aluminum's.

However, if acquiring the extra money for them was out of the question and it was between these or nothing, I might be tempted to take the chance.

See if they will sell them contingent upon passing viz and hydro, and split the cost if they fail.

The cheapest I've seen at any LDS or major retailer (Sport Chalet) is $149 + tax.

If they are as advertised I think it's a good deal. If they are unused there is no reason they should fail hydro. Since they are Aluminum they won't have rust issues. There shouldn't be problems.

TwoBit

Wolfie2012:
Well, considering you can get 2 new AL 80's for $269.91+shipping from scubatoys(including SB discount),

It means the price is over $300, might be $310~~~~~

I'd also make sure they are not the old T6351 aluminum that virtually no one fills around here any more. Also, give the valves a twist or two and make sure they don't need rebuilding... but if they are as you say, and you are getting them local with no shipping costs - that seems like a good deal.

You can buy brand new AL80's with current hydo, etc from a store (Divers Direct) for $ 139.00. Why gamble?

Back
Top Bottom