Good Camera??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question that is probably normal, but I want to get my first camera. I have been looking at the DC500 pro set because of price 500 bucks. I have heard great things about this camera and bad things. How dose that work how can this camera be bad to some and good to some. If this camera dose suck then what else can I get my hands on for 500 or so bucks with a strobe. Maybe a sea and sea?? kinda lost need helps thanks everyone love this website

Bflem55:
......how can this camera be bad to some and good to some.......

Well Bflem55, all I can say is that everybody expect different things from things and you also have to account for the "Lemon" factor. I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix P5000 (and a complete Ikelite housing strobe set-up) and read great and terrible reviews about it. Also, people do not do certain things to help themselves. Example....if a camera starts out slow to write a picture to memory, spending more on the memory card can help. All you can do is exactly what you are doing....Research and asking questions. It also helps if the store you buy from either has a display unit to test or has a flexible return policy.

I wish you the best but can say, it may cause all sorts of anxiety, but in the end, more than likely you will be exstatic with you purchase.

I've seen some that were bad, and some thqt were good. I think it's hit or miss with the camera. Flooding is mostly a matter of carelessness by the owner.

If there is one negative that stands out to me it's that the battery doesn't have much capacity. I haven't seen one yet that will last for two dives so you will need to change it for every dive.

Think about this. Every time you open a housing there is the one chance that you won't get it sealed properly and flooding could occur. Just something to consider.

If you haven't already, check out the Pink Link in my signature which takes you to the Sticky at the top of the Underwater Photography forum - inside you will find a ton of information including links to discussions on various models, some have links to images taken with the model, too.

For my money, I'd head for one of the Canon A series models and Canon housings. Fuji and Olympus also have some nice offerings. You won't really get a strobe as well for your $500 but these compacts are perfectly capable of taking very nice shots without one while you save for a good one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom