good, basic first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Dive Rite Nitek Duo, which may now be discontinued, which is the same as the Tusa DC Hunter (I believe both are made by Seiko for Tusa and DR). I've had my Duo for years now. It is a two gas computer. It has user replaceable batteries. It is a puck design so you can mount it a variety of ways.

Good solid computer and you can get some good deals now if you look!

The Veo 180NX is a good little beginner computer---heck I bought it as my 1st one about ?4 yrs ago & have never updated with another one....Has gotten me home many a time having to deco it.....about 200 bucks, they are DC'ed now---but who cares, it'll last you for a while....

I have the Sub-Gear XP-10. I like it, it's not expensive or overly complicated. It's nitrox(40%) capable has a N2 saturation bar on the side that stays there the entire time you are off gassing, and gives you altitude restrictions as well as "no-fly" times. It is also very sensitive to ascent rate. The only thing I've noticed that it doesn't have that most computers do, is an NDL scroll mode.
I am probably a little biased because this is only computer I've used other than an aladin rental. But I have noticed a lot of people out here have issues with the Geo's. I know of 2 people that had them flood on them and a lot of people having problems with putting it in "dive mode" which seems kind of ridiculous to me.

Get the aeris atmos ai you can get it from leisurepro for $425 shipped. You have to call for that price. It does air and nitrox, is a liberal computer, has tank pressure on the display and you can replace the batteries yourself. They are awesome computers and used to cost double the current price.

You could start by looking at the Dive Computers Research Tool; so far it lists 50 computers below $500.
Most of them have videos that show the computers in action.

You can also take the free online class How to Choose a Dive Computer

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I highly suggest this site. Most computers you buy from leisurepro do come with a free certificate to this website. Even if it doesn't, it's well worth a few dollars to understand your computer. It basically walks you through what all your computer can do and how it works. You get to do virtual dives, so you will see how it works in action.

i'm looking at gettting a suunto solution or an oceanic veo nx. are these good "beginner" computers? i cant afford to spend a ton of $$$ on a new one, so i gotta get something in my price range. right now i have basic gauges that are almost 20 years old, so i just want to upgrade a lillte.

Thanks for any help/advice!!

"suunto solution"?? Where did you see that? The Suunto solution I know is about 20 year old computer that hasn't been in the market for a very long time. I also don't see this model in the current Suunto product offering.

Did you mean something else or did you mean buying a used Suunto Solution?

As Bob mentioned, the Hollis DG02 (nitrox capable) is great bang for the buck.

You can find it for $229 at buy.com or dolphinscuba.com.

dolphinscuba also sells it on ebay for that price but with a "make offer" button so you can get it even cheaper.

I use it as the backup to my X1.

Hollis is the same company as Oceanic and Aeris. Bob Hollis is the founder/ceo of Oceanic.

"suunto solution"?? Where did you see that? The Suunto solution I know is about 20 year old computer that hasn't been in the market for a very long time. I also don't see this model in the current Suunto product offering.

Did you mean something else or did you mean buying a used Suunto Solution?

yeah, a buddy of mine has had the suunto solution for about 16 years, and it is still his primary computer. he has several hundred dives, and has came back every time. i like the simpleness of it as well. only problem is it is not nitrox compatible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom