good, basic first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamafin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i'm looking at gettting a suunto solution or an oceanic veo nx. are these good "beginner" computers? i cant afford to spend a ton of $$$ on a new one, so i gotta get something in my price range. right now i have basic gauges that are almost 20 years old, so i just want to upgrade a lillte.

Thanks for any help/advice!!

No comment on the specific computers you are looking at but I do recommend that you consider getting a nitrox capable computer.

In general, you will find the Suunto computers more conservative, particularly in response to "bad dive profiles", such as even a momentary rapid ascent, sawtooth profiles, reverse profiles, and short SIs.

The Oceanic computer, in general, are much more liberal, and ignore the details of the profile such as rapid ascents. You will have to apply your judgement as to how much additional conservatism to apply to compensate for less than optimum dive profiles.

One significant advantage I find with the Oceanic computers is the tissue loading bargraph, which is more akin to a graphical display of N2 loading than is the Suunto bargraph, which is merely a graphical display of the NDL.

The difference becomes obvious during an ascent at the end of a dive. The Suunto computer will immediately go to the green as the NDL increases to infinity at 15'. On the Oceanic computer, the bargraph will continue to show your N2 loading, and will slowly decrease only as you offgas.

-----------------

I assume that the patents on the tissue loading bargraph have expired. Does anybody know of a computer that combines the Oceanic/Pelagic style bargraph with an algorithm like Suunto that responds to things like fast ascents?

I think that the Suunto Solution is an air-only computer. The Suunto Solution X is nitrox-capable.
The Oceanic Veo NX is also nitrox-capable. Make sure that whatever computer you get has the features you want.

Buying any of the above computers used is a great way to save some money. I've purchased 3 dive computers in used, but very good condition. All were a wonderful value. One thing I made sure of before buying was that the batteries were user-replaceable. It's easy to replace the battery in the Solution -- very similar to my Suunto Favor computers. The Oceanic website specifies that the Veo NX also has a diver-replaceable battery.

Good luck with your purchase.

For price vs features, I like the Hollis DG 02 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My first dive computer was a Oceanic Veo 100, very basic, very easy to use, very cheap. However as soon as I began diving nitrox I "had" to buy a nitrox capable computer. I agree with charlie99, try to find an inexpensive nitrox/air computer, that way you wont have to buy another so soon. And when I say "had to" or "have to" a diver doesn't need a computer to dive or to dive nitrox, but it certainly is nice!

I would recommend to get a nitrox one as well...
In my opinion you should aim to buy a feature-rich computer, so you don't have to think about changing it in the near term.

I agree it's best to get a Nitrox capable computer. Not that expensive, and less expensive then deciding in 6 months you want that (a decent probability.) As far as feature-rich, I don't know about that, especially if you are trying not to spend a lot. Any basic dive computer will do what you need for now. And depending which way your diving goes, it may do everything you really need, ever. I'd pay more attention to things like user-replaceable batteries and how easy it is to use and read.

Take a look at the Mares Puck and the SubGear XP-10 as well. The Mares may have a few more features, I am not sure.

Take a look at the Mares Puck and the SubGear XP-10 as well. The Mares may have a few more features, I am not sure.

I second the recommendation of the Mares Puck. It is a nitrox compatible computer that even has gauge mode for under $300. I have been using this computer with no complaints. The only "negative" is that the computer is very conservative regarding no deco limits diving. However, I think this is a positive for someone new to diving though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom