Going vintage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMBL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi folks,

Just got this today ! :D
upload_2021-4-17_15-31-14.png

The kind of mask that made dream when I was a kid in the 70s. Hope to try it during the summer hol'.

Not true vintage, cause it's silicon and not rubber, and brand new : Beuchat Super compensator, for those who are wondering.

Guess it was a belated Xmas gift :wink:

Hi folks ! Here’s the story of my experience diving this mask. Hope you’ll enjoy.

I’ve been considering diving a vintage mask for quite a while. I got myself this Beuchat Super Compensator in May, by sheer chance : I needed a new mask, chose one and next to it was the Super Compensator, tried it on, and it fit ! It’s a silicone one, rubber would have been closer to the original from the past, but as it’s less durable I preferred silicone.

But why on earth did I want such a mask, would you ask ? Well, part of the explanation is nostalgia : my very first underwater memories date back from the early 70s at the beach : I was a very young lad, about 4 or 5, brought up in front of a TV set playing Jacques Cousteau, stealing my father’s mask (way too big for me, it covered my mouth, and had to hold it both hands so it won’t come away) and diving under the waves, although my swimming skills were quite basic.

The last part of the explanation has more to do with comfort : I wanted a larger field of vision and more light.

I tried the mask on 14 dives, in the Med, while on holidays in Villefranche-sur-Mer, no deeper than 45m, with my Triton rebreather (I’m currently limited to air diluent), diving from an inflatable boat, and starting every dive with a back roll entry. Maximum diving time 70’, maximum deco 8’.

From my very 1st dive with this mask, my goal was reached : wider field of vision, more light, and the rebreather HUD is less obstructing the view. I was very satisfied and pleased.

Some drawbacks though :

- the mask is a bit trickier to put on than a regular one, I had to be very careful to set the band in the right position, otherwise, the mask tends to slip and water gets in,

- it’s too large to fit in any fin foot pocket (unless you have Force Fins, like me), so it must be carried around the neck all the time,

- as it’s less close to the face, it tends to come away a bit too easily, in case of shock (a fin kick in the face for example),

- I had to use both hands to compensate, each forefinger pressing on my nose, but I think the true reason for that were the breathing tubes of my rebreather, with a regulator, you should be able to use one hand only, I guess.

I was very satisfied with this mask, but I won’t take it on deeper and much complex dives (rougher sea for example), at least for now, because of its tendency to slip. But maybe some old timers who dive/dove this kind of max on a regular basis can give me some tips to better adjust the mask.

Hope you liked my post, any comments welcome !

Thank you ! :)

Thank you!

You are getting some very good practice for double hose

I push my mask on and suck the air out like a suction cup

full.jpg

and dive this one but not anymore with a bucket oval mask

But why on earth did I want such a mask, would you ask ? Well, part of the explanation is nostalgia : my very first underwater memories date back from the early 70s at the beach : I was a very young lad, about 4 or 5, brought up in front of a TV set playing Jacques Cousteau, stealing my father’s mask (way too big for me, it covered my mouth, and had to hold it both hands so it won’t come away) and diving under the waves, although my swimming skills were quite basic.
Now the next step is to get a doublehose reg to dive with the mask!

It’s a silicone one, rubber would have been closer to the original from the past, but as it’s less durable I preferred silicone.

... its tendency to slip.

Nice! Brings back memories. We used old oval masks (Dacor? U.S. Divers? I don't remember) for the university open water course I took in 1986 (the university's scuba gear). Black rubber with a plain bottom (i.e., no pinch pockets for the nose). I don't remember them slipping off easily.

A bunch of our oval masks were blacked out (painted with neoprene paint or taped over with some kind of opaque, waterproof tape) for use with the myriad and frequent harassment skills we all "enjoyed."

I'd love to own and dive one of these masks in open water!

rx7diver

Another clearing method you might want to try that was used back in the day with mask that did not have nose pockets.
Just press the mask squarely against your face so it seals a bit better, this will allow some pressure to build in the mask and blow out your nose. It's not as effective as pinching your nose but it does work. This can be done with one hand.....works with modern mask too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom