Going to Venezuela!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We must have been lucky on the Antares Dancer - no sewage smell, but problems with the generator. Must have had a different cook - food was straightforward and everyone had enough. He was limited on whatever they could stock up with locally - and it seemed to be aubergine (egg-plant) season. And it's amazing how many things you can do with those things!

Diving - yes current, brilliant colours, fish and reef in the sites we visited were pristine.

Two-hour queue to get through Caracas Airport and then no luggage. But no problem - had basic gear in hand luggage and the crew found us some really useful stuff.

Thanks for stirring the memories (about 3 years ago).

this is wild!!!!!
i had a different trip as well on the m/v antares.
we dove on some nice walls.
no current.
never saw sand or dissapearing wrecks.
i thought the cook did a good job considering what he had to work with.
there were only 8 guests.
the captain would set the course for the next location, give me the helm and then take a nap.
scary huh?
there has to be a way for this va country boy to return.
let me know if i can go with someone.

I think it depends on where you go in Venezuela. I've heard Las Aves, Los Roques and Margarita Island are OK. Have a Dutch friend who has been traveling throughout Venezuela after her stint as an instructor on Bonaire.

And I believe Venezuela is the second largest exporter of oil to the US. I guess our petro-dollars have helped Chavez quite a bit. Funny, I think they also helped a certain former CIA associate. Hmm... now what was his name? Oh, ya... Hussein, Saddam Hussein. That's the guy.

Dr. Bill
I spent a couple of months diving in Aves back Around 2006. Was incredible! Lots of wrecks on the East side. Has to be calm to get out there but in summer can Be good. Inside is good otherwise. There were the biggest barracuda I‘ve ever seen. Not sure what it‘s like now. I would be interested to hear from someone who’s been there lately as to state of the coral and the politics.

Back
Top Bottom