going to SIPIDAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marc1001

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I have 850+ dives, diving many places, as Egypt, Thailand,Philippines,Puerto Galera and Cebu, Malapascua,Jamaica,mexico, Sal,Bonaire,Curacao, Bali, the Mermaid to Kommodo,
Indonesia, , Lembeh street and Bunaken, Maldives,and last october Fiji. We never went to Sipidan, and would like to go soon. But which period of the year should we
avoid???? Living in Belgium we would prefer Februari, March, or October, but is this the right season?????
We do not fight currents,

Marc

Marc,

Welcome to ScubaBoard...the internet's portal into Poseidon’s Realm. :admingreet:

I suggest re-posting your question in the Indonesia Forum...there it will get more exposure and a better response.

Happy Bubble,

~Oldbear~

:fish::fish::fish:
:goldfish::goldfish::goldfish:

I have only been to Sipadan once. We went in April, which we were told is about the best time to go.
I went in late january last year, it is supposedly the "off" season, but the diving was great. Good viz, tons of fish, and great macro on Mabul. The off season seams to be best as you have a better chance at getting permits, it is very tricky on where to stay, as permits to sipadan are the most important thing. Some places will only guarantee 1 day diving on sipadan if you stay one week. Others can do much better. If you dont like macro, the diving around Mabul wont interest you much, if you like macro, it will be amazing.

I did a liveaboard trip with MV Celebes Explorer in March 2012 and it was great. This is the only liveaboard in Sipadan; we encountered other divers only when diving near the island resorts. No hassle with limited licences (all liveaboard guests have guarenteed licenses for the whole week). Sharks and turtles at almost every dive. I concur with the opinions stated above wrt the macro life. 5 dives per day possible. We didn't go that deep, usually 25m at the most, so 5 dives/day is fine. No nitrox required either. Weather in March was fine, with occasional rain which lasts 1 hour. You are in the tropics after all. When the sun comes out it bakes your gear dry in no time. Viz was fine, there's so much to see there's no need for >30m viz. It wil be hard to miss that turtle or the sharks.
Boat and interior look a bit tired but is kept clean, the food is simple but plenty and fresh. Helpful crew and dive guides (we had 4 DM at the time). You get 2 towels for the room and 1 small towel for outside. I'd suggest you bring an extra beach towel. No complementary toiletries, no hairdryer in the bathroom, no TV in your room but you do have AC. Diving is done with a very small dhoni, so divers are split in 2 groups. You have to take off your bcd after each dive and store it below the benches. The crew will put everything back before your next dive.
You seem very experienced so if you're not fussy and want to focus on great diving I'd say go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom