Going to Roatan Nov 25 - 1 Dec 04 advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homework

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm going to Roatan for the first time, by myself 25 Nov - 1 Dec. I'll probably be staying in the West End, as that is supposedly where the nightlife / restaurants, etc. are. I haven't confirmed lodging or diving yet. I'm looking for beach front, or at least ocean view, in the west end. Recommendations? Also, I need to find a reputable dive shop. I'm an advanced Dive Master and don't want to be treated like a beginner diver.

If anyone will be traveling there during the same time and wants to hook up for a beer or diving, let me know.

Thanks in advance...

homework:
Also, I need to find a reputable dive shop. I'm an advanced Dive Master and don't want to be treated like a beginner diver. QUOTE]

Good point. The West End is pretty much so saturated with day-divers, any number of back packers and casual vactioner/divers. You'll have to 'make your bones' on the check out dive. After that, they'll leave you alone- just tell the DM what you're up to.

My advice? Put your nose on the DM's fins and be ready to look at all the cool tiny little macro critters he finds. It doesn't matter how experienced a diver you may be, unless you know these waters, you'll miss all the tiny stuff.

I have been so engrossed in a Pipefish (the size of a toothpick) I didn't see the 7' Nurse Shark underneath me that I was about to flipper-flick. He got pointed out to me, I moved and went back to looking at the Pipefish. The Nurse Shark may or may not have moved, I had no interest.

Moral? Stick with your DM, enjoy the cool stuff Roatan has to offer. If after two dives you aren't seeing 5 and six cool things each dive including Sea Horses, Arrow Blennies, Drums, Garden Eels, microscopic Crabs and Shrimps. Decorator Crabs, Cryptic Crabs and more... switch DM's.

You'll have a blast... but be sure to post your after trip de-brief report right here.

This might sound stange but make sure your not allergic deet. I just returned and everytime I put on deet it burned the heck out of my skin. Oh and have fun.

homework:
Hello everyone,

I'm going to Roatan for the first time, by myself 25 Nov - 1 Dec. I'll probably be staying in the West End, as that is supposedly where the nightlife / restaurants, etc. are. I haven't confirmed lodging or diving yet. I'm looking for beach front, or at least ocean view, in the west end. Recommendations? Also, I need to find a reputable dive shop. I'm an advanced Dive Master and don't want to be treated like a beginner diver.

If anyone will be traveling there during the same time and wants to hook up for a beer or diving, let me know.

Thanks in advance...

Can't help you out with dive shop - being a snorkel geek - but we have decided ourselves on staying at Lost Paradise in WEst End (next spring). We've been very pleased with the contact we've had with them via e-mail. They have cabanas right on the beach. E-mail Carlos and he can help you out. www.lost-paradise.com

We did have someone recommend Native Sons Dive Shop - run by native Roatanian (?).

Brenda

I highly recc. suendodelmar dive shop....check out the website. It's laid back and you'll be happy with the DMs. They're not as big and therefore you won't have a bunch of people going out with you that vary in experience all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom