Going to Maui, recommend a dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone ever been diving with Scuba Luv? I am staying very close to the Kihei Boat Ramp (Mana Kai Resort). This is my first time in Maui. I have been diving in Bonaire, Costa Rica, Turks & Caicos, and St. Lucia. What can I expect?

Has anyone ever been diving with Scuba Luv?
I have not. I do know of Steve from diving Catalina over a decade ago. They're good people.
I am staying very close to the Kihei Boat Ramp (Mana Kai Resort). This is my first time in Maui. I have been diving in Bonaire, Costa Rica, Turks & Caicos, and St. Lucia. What can I expect?
Every boat in South Maui leaves from the ramp. So I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. That list includes Ed Robinsons, Severns, B&B Scuba, ProDiver, Makena Coast, Dive & Sea and 2 or 3 others I can't remember.

It's not clear to me if Scuba Luv has a boat or books on others. I'm reliably certain there's no single operator that boat dives both Molokini and Lana'i from the Kihei area like they advertise. So one of those trips probably involves a drive to West Maui. Lahaina Divers in does it the other way from Lahaina.

Will be traveling to Maui from late August to early September. I have about 25 dives under my belt with a max of 65'. I might be diving Catalina in July, so that will let me test waters close to 100'. My girlfriend is newly certified and will have approximately 8 dives under her belt by the time we're in Maui. She will likely join me for Catalina in July.

Please recommend a good dive charter and locations to consider. Molokini and Cath seem to be the popular ones. Mala harbor seems to be a popular dive as well. I'm going to assume Molokini backwall is beyond our technical abilities right now. We will be staying in Lahaina, but that isn't set in stone. We plan on diving 2-3 days and the drive down to Kihei isn't an issue. We're from Southern California and a 50 minute drive is a regular commute.

Call or email Tiny Bubbles. Tim is the son of Steve of Scuba Luv. The whole family rocks and they love to dive. Both pretty much do just beach dives so it keeps the cost down and you can do a lot of diving. And they run scooters for a little extra which will get you out to the 40' to 50' reefs where the water is clearer. Scuba Luv is based in Kihei and they cover the south side around Mekenna. Tiny Bubbles will take you in the van anywhere north from Kapalua to Air Port beach or Mala Wharf depending on the conditions of the weather and surf.

Boat diving from Kihei would be with anyone leaving from the Kihei boat ramp at the south end of town. That's pretty much everyone but Lahaina Divers who moor in Lahaina Harbor. Lahaina Divers leaves at a reasonable hour in the morning after meeting at their shop. Everybody else meets at zero dark thirty at the Kihei boat ramp, did I mention, in the dark?

For less experienced divers I recommend the Molokini atoll trips (except the back wall). Most of the dives will be in the 50' to 70' range followed by a near shore 40' "turtle town" dive. The Carthaginian is an advanced dive because the channel often has a current and the Lahaina Divers do not always go there (they are the only boat I am aware of allowed to dive the wreck). It's iffy. The Lana'i trips are ok for the less experienced and the visibility can be far better than anywhere along the Maui coastline with the exception of the Molokini atoll.

If you can handle diving Catalina, you well advanced for the conditions anywhere in Hawaii. 100 feet deep off Maui is like 50 feet deep at the Avalon Scuba Dive Park on a really calm late summer day. Don't push your girlfriend. Let her decided what level of difficulty and depth range she is comfortable with. Then if you contact Tiny Bubbles or Shaka Doug on Maui, they will make sure she has a very comfortable and stress free scuba holiday with you.

Please recommend a good dive charter and locations to consider.

Besides Lahaina Divers - who would be a good option for you both based on dive count - there's also Extended Horizons, Hawaiian Rafting Adventures or Maui Pacific Divers - all have a boat in Lahaina Harbor. LD has the biggest boats and also the most divers typically - I think they'll take 28 max - their boats are 46' Newtons with upstairs decks so it's not overly crowded. You might be there at a good time anyway since school is probably starting so less tourists. I've been on one of their boats once with 7 other divers but it was one of their advanced West Lanai Drift dives.

But they segment by experience level and there's a DM in the water with every group - no more than 8 divers max is HI law. All are going to dive Lana'i daily, Lahaina Divers sends one of their boats every other day to Molokini also. As mentioned above, some of their departure times are almost civilized since they don't need to worry about the tradewinds as much as the smaller Kihei boats do.

Just generalizing, Extended Horizons might be a more advanced crowd, IDK Hawaiian Rafting at all but Maui Pacific might be an option for you also. Besides Lanai they dive Mala Pier also and have a smaller boat so probably limit their divers to 6-8 max. I've never dove with them but have seen them in the harbor.

You both could do the Cathedrals off Lana'i if your GF is comfortable in the water. I'm pretty sure the entrance to Cathedral 1 is 50'. IMO it's the more dramatic but less fishy. Except for the big school of Moku (squirrelfish) hiding in one of the side chambers. Bring a light just for that. Cathedral 2 is more open - more collapsed so you can see more daylight.

You both could easily do most of the Lana'i coastline dives, just not the West Lanai Drift that Lahaina does as that's fast and they'll want to see experience/AOW for it. Since you mentioned Mala (pier - not harbor) Lahaina Divers also does that at night off their boat to facilitate easy entry. The legal shore entry to Mala requires navigating around shallow coral heads (mostly walking) - the easier illegal entry is across the boat channel and will get you a ticket if the authorities see you. Also you/guide are required to tow a flag.

Two other options for boat dives are the Maui Dive Shops except they keep their boat in Ma'alea just north of Kihei and feed divers to it from all their locations so it can be pretty crowded. There's also Maui Scuba Diving Center in Lahaina but the two boats shown on their website aren't theirs - they book you onto Extended Horizons or Maui Diamond II - also in Ma'alea. So you may as well book direct. What I find deceiving is that someone photoshopped out the boat names in their pictures - I'm not a fan...

If you did want to drive south to Kihei then run over to Molokini from there(shorter boat ride), B&B is probably one of the better choices for your exp. level.

Two other easy shore dives/entries in the Lahaina area are Old Airport and Kapalua Bay. Old Airport is shallow a long way out but there's some interesting remnants of the sugar loading operation almost straight out/south of the beach. Go real slow and look in any of the openings and you'll likely find octopus - even during the day. Kapalua Bay is about 40' max across the whole bay and there's not a lot of reason to go deeper. It's also one of the top beaches on Maui. Some might recommend Olawalu also but very, very infrequently you get to watch a Tiger have his turtle soup there. So that puts some people off...I think it's the only dive on Maui with a permanent shark sign.

I also recommend Tim Rollo at Tiny Bubbles also regularly. They're at one of the Ka'anapali resorts now so a good shore dive with them could be Black Rock. Since there's a golf course and the Sheraton there you have to know where to drop gear and park to save a long carry. A lot of people enter on the north side, let the current (mild) take them past the Black Rock cove then continue south and exit on the Sheraton Beach. If you do it right, leave a car at the parking garage just south of it and walk back to the enter point.

In addition to the visibility mentioned by the previous poster, another re-assuring point for new divers is that the viz. off Molokini frequently exceeds 200' so you'll see the boat anytime you're near it - or at least a boat - there's going to be several moored nearby.

have a good trip, I like Maui in the fall just about the best. Heat/Humidity/masses of Tourists are all diminished.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom