Going to Maui - need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Maui in early Feb. I used the internet to start my investigation of who to use and then came to Scubaboard. We ended up using Shaka Doug and I can tell you he is GREAT to dive with. We had a blast. He did an OW referral for my two boys and we did an intro to diving for one of their friends so he could join us on a few dives. After the OW referral, we did several dives and saw many amazing things (didn't see any rays this trip though...).

He was easy to work with, very friendly and certainly knew his stuff. I would recommend him and use him again in a heartbeat!

We have a timeshare, but found our place through VRBO.com as well. The Kehei Holiday was a decent complex to stay in. We found our place for about $175 US per night all in for a place that slept 6.

I'd highly recommend that you do shore dives in Maui. I have dove there a few times and truthfully, all dives are shore dives. When you head out on a boat, you head to a shore dive location off of Maui or off one of the other islands. Molokini crater is a shore dive as well, but its a different shore so the only way you can access it is from a boat. Having done both approaches, I'd suggest you use the money you save to do additional shore dives.

Enjoy.

Isn't scuba shack the one with the "no peeing" rule? Beware if you need to relieve yourself during the dive....

There are two types of divers.. Those that pee in their wetsuites and those that lie about it :D

glad I dont rent...

I'm planning my trip for late March currently. I'll post up my trip experiences after... but the one thing I can contribute already is that I just got a convertible for my 8 days there from Priceline for $280 all included. You should be able to get a compact for a lot less than that...

I am currently checking through all I can find on shore dives (which brought my through this thread). We'll do 1 boat dive (I think Molokini's going to have to be it) and 1 shore dive day. Still evaluating doing the shore dives on our own or with a local...

Have fun on Maui!

Be aware that there is very good shore diving there. You do not have to go out on a charter boat to have a good dive, or a good time. In fact, my husband and I have almost given up going out on boats, because the cost/benefit ratio argues for more dives from shore. Sites we have really enjoyed have been the Mala Wharf, Ulua Beach, Polo Beach, and Makena Landing. Tank rental is very inexpensive, and if the swell isn't up, the entries and exits aren't difficult.

If you want a guide, you can hire Shaka Doug, who has a very good reputation. If you're accustomed to shore diving and want to strike out for yourself, check out alohashoredivers.com for information on a variety of sites.

Just made reservations for the last two weeks of April on Maui, diving with Scuba Shack and staying in their Villa. Will take all information available about the shore diving opportunities thereabouts. We like to maximize our bottom time on these trips... so 15~20 dives per week would be ideal. Only doing 4 days of boat dives each week, to hopefully make it over to the Molokini crater.

Thanks in advance for any insight

I can not say enough about Shaka Doug. I was in Maui for my 50th birthday and took my rebreather for some great diving. Used it for three dives then went open circuit. Well mother nature did not cooperate. Trade winds and all the boats were not running. We did one dive with on of the operators listed above and it was OK. I think Catalina was better than what we got but it was all blown up from the winds. Sooo we were at the technical guys, B&B another great operator does most of the nitrox if not all, and saw the school bus! Doug did not over sell the diving but he was local and knew where to go to maximize our chances of getting decent water. What a couple of dives we had. Great diving, I dive with lots of operators and tend to find areas they could improve on. Doug took great care of us. We did call for another late notice dive and Doug had gone to a concert emptying his buss out and putting seats in for friends. I think it was Steve Miller Band hell I would have gone and stayed up all night as well. Anyway I would and will use Shaka Doug again!!! I don't think you can go wrong.

Mmmmm.... Maui shore diving. I miss it! We skipped Maui this year and went to Oregon/California instead to visit family, but I'm trying to scheme up a 1 week trip here in June to make up for it.

Lots of good advice in this thread - can't go wrong with B&B, Shaka Doug, or Ed Robinson's. If you're comfy out on your own, Maui has some of the best and easiest shore diving in the country. If you want someone to show you around, Shaka Doug runs one heck of a shore diving operation and will make sure you have a good time.

Kihei Rent a Car is another good local rental company.

I want some Jawz fish tacos...

-B

When I need EAN in Kihei I get tank rentals and fills from Maui Dreams; they also have EAN available on their boat, Maui Diamond 2.

In Lahaina I get EAN fills from Pacific Dive and they probably rent tanks. Steve at Hawaiian Rafting Adventures supports the West Side tech divers (fills up to 100%?) as well as recreational fills for his own and other charter boats.

Last but not... OK, just last. Scuba Shack claims to have a blender on staff for their charters, but they also claim a lot of things.:rofl3:

Beware of VBRO. I placed a deposit in Sep 08 for the week of March 21-28. It was the first of Feb when I got an email saying the property had been sold and they would not honor the deposit. I then had to scramble to find accomodations and unfortunatley I ended up going to Cabo which then created a whole new problem Rush Passports. I sent an email to VBRO about my disatisfaction with the service. They didn't seem to care. In the future I will go back to making lodging with major hotels and resorts. No more freelance condos and timeshares. I would have had a lot better time and done a hell of a lot more diving in Maui then what I did in Cabo. Not sure if this matters but Lahaina Divers was the ones who I made the deposit with and they where the ones who sold it.

We just returned on Wed from Maui. Dont miss out on diving on Lanai. The cathedrals were awesome! Must do! As far as deals go.... Travelocity..... we booked a week at Kaanapali shores condos including airfare and a car for less than 1200 per person. But there were lots of other deals out there. Book a package.. it will save you lots of money vs. putting the deal together yourself. Shore diving is plentiful and fun, but boat diving on Maui rocks! Nothing like stepping off the boat in 100-150' of water and being able to clearly see the bottom....Awesome!

Lahaina divers was a great bunch to dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom