Going to Maui in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to Maui June 8th - 18th. I've found good info in this forum about different dive operators. I'm a little nervous because I only have about 10 dives under my belt. I'm not really nervous about the dive itself but am nervous cause I don't want to hold back more experienced divers. I will be diving by myself since no one in my family dives. How do the dive operators match people up with a dive buddy if you are alone? Which dives would be good for a novice? Would I be able to handle Molokai? Is June a good time to dive in Maui? I was told that most people visit during the winter and that June would be a little less crowded.

Oh, you'll be able to handle Molokini just fine. There is a range of depths of dives out there, and inside the crater, there is very little current. The dive operators are also quite used to fairly new divers showing up to dive in Hawaii.

If you are really concerned about causing someone else a problem, talk to the dive operator you are going to use about hiring a DM to dive with you for the day. That will give you an experienced buddy and you won't have to worry about cutting short anyone else's dive. Just don't let the DM talk you into doing anything you don't think is a good idea -- it's fairly routine to take new divers on deep dives over there.

You'll have fun. I did my first dive trip to Maui when I had only done OW and AOW (so about ten dives altogether). I had a ball.

If you are staying in the Kaanapali area I would suggest that you check out Lahaina Divers. I did some of my first dives with them back in 2005 and didn't have any problems. They usually put groups of six together and match up by experience levels, so it is unlikely that you will be holding any one back. Also, if you want to start out with some easier dives, try the afternoon dives first to get a feel for the diving, boat, etc and talk to the shop.

Good luck. Only 251 more days til I'm back on the island.

All diving in Maui is group diving with a DM leading, so you won't need a "buddy" per se. Typically we've seen that DM's will tell newer or nervous divers to stick with them, so that's all you really need to do....stay close to the DM and you'll be fine. Don't be afraid to talk with the DM who will be leading your group and tell them of your comfort and experience level. Above all, have a great time!

DiveMaven, I am going to differ with you here. I do not think it is appropriate for new divers to dive in a group without a buddy. When no one has any responsibility for anyone else, no one is watching, and no one may be within reach of a problem, or feel any obligation to assist.

The buddy system is taught for a reason. If you have a buddy, you make an agreement to execute the dive in a certain way, and at least ostensibly together (I realize that instabuddies make this difficult). If you can't have a reasonable buddy, hire one. I think advising a new diver not worry about it and to follow the DM is really teaching the wrong things. Just my opinion.

All good advice. My recommendation for a dive operator in Maui is McKenna Coast Divers. Very nice operation. You'll enjoy Molokini crater.

Not arguing the buddy vs group diving recommendations, especially since I am a possible buddy for hire on Maui (photo's included :) ), but could anyone point/link us to data/research that supports the recommendations?

From personal experience, I was sure glad I knew exactly who to look to and count on when my reg hose popped off during my safety stop and my tank drained in about 10 seconds. :wink:

I guess when I was thinking of DM led group diving on Maui and not needing an "assigned" buddy, I was thinking more about the times when we've had a single diver in our group who has asked to buddy up with my husband and I in a threesome, and we've loosely stuck together and watched out for eachother. Also, often when there's a single, I've heard DM's tell them to stay close and buddy up with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom