Going to Maui (also Oahu and Hawaii) 3/3/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kidspot, Thanks for the invite but we missed it because I assumed it was at night. Hopefully, y'all are having lots of fun over there right now. We just got back from the Haleakala bike trip and checked this thread and saw the early get together. We've only been here 24hrs but it seems much longer. Molikini in a.m., Drive to Hana Monday, zipline times have all filled up so we're wait listed. Headed for Honalulu tuesday, then two tank night dive with Jack's out of Honokahau on Wed, Thur we'll try to do the sunset watching of the lava going into the ocean and then back to Maui on Fri. Saturday morning will be Whale watching and Sat night we're doing the Feast at Lele.
So only two dives planned but still having fun. She wants to see the North shore of Oahu but we don't have a car for the 24hrs we're there. Any ideas of a good way to get up there and back during our 24hrs in Honalulu? I've heard the weather there has been terrible but it was nice here (maui) yesterday and today so far. Interesting how different things can be...

You can always take "The Bus" for $1.50 (last time I checked..may be more now) each way - it's not exactly fast, but if you're sightseeing it may be a nice way to go.

Aloha, Tim

I'll have to respectfully disagree that Lahaina Divers is a cattleboat operation. Perhaps my definition of cattleboats is different than others, but my experience with cattleboats is far different than what I've experienced when I've dived with Lahaina Divers.

Cattleboat: One that takes large numbers of divers. Gives very little personal attention. Only concern seems to get you back on the boat as quickly as possible. Has no regard for grouping divers based on skill/experience. Doesn't modify dive times based on air consumption. Offers no service beyond the basics. Can't wait to get back to the dock to get the next group.

The only part of "cattleboat" that Lahaina Divers has is the large boat part IMO. And frankly, I've only ever experienced a full boat with them on one morning charter to Molokini Crater. They are always full for afternoon charters since that's when they do Discover Scuba, so we avoid the afternoon groups whenever possible.

Yes, the boats are big, but for those of us with motion sick issues, they are wonderfully stable and fast. There is also oodles of room for everyone and we've never felt crowded on the rides to and from the sites. Personally, I prefer them to Extended Horizons for Lanai trips since both run the same dive profiles and I like the bigger boat for comfort (plus their charter prices are cheaper).

We'll be doing 2 Lanai trips with them in April and 2 3-tank Adventure Dives with Ed Robinsons...can't wait!

I agree with DiveMaven. I used Lahaina Divers exactly for the stable boat/seasickness reason, and was worried about the cattleboat description, but was pleasantly surprised. I've dove with them around a dozen times, to Molokini (back wall dive as well as several dives on the corners of the crater) and Lana'i. I was always put with a group of divers that matched my abilities as well as my love of going deep. Unless you mind big boats, they're a good choice IMHO. I preferred them vastly to Maui Dive Shop. And if you choose the Lana'i dive, since they leave from Lahaina, it's a much quicker trip than leaving from Kihei or Ma'alaea AND the OP can get back to his girlfriend in Ka'anapali faster--no long drive north from the boat ramp when you get back.

That being said, if I didn't prefer larger boats, and if my SO and I didn't get seasick, we'd probably check out some other outfits as well for more diversified sites.

Holy resurrected thread, Batman!!! :shocked2:

3/3/2006<---

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom