Going to Maui (also Oahu and Hawaii) 3/3/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewbieGoingtoMaui

Registered
Reaction score
Headed for Maui (first time) and staying on Kaanapali for six nights. I'm not a dive fanatic (yet) but would like to do a dive each day but still have time to do my biking, zip lines, hiking, whale watching, sailing, etc. I've heard the outer wall of Molikini is a good wall dive. Now for the hard part, my girlfriend doesn't dive, isn't certified, and may only want to snorkle one day, but is independent and doesn't mind if I do a FEW dives while we're there. I'd like to not have to invest the bulk of each day to get in a good dive except for the day I do Molikini (and she can snorkel the inside that day). My local dive shop suggested I ask on ScubaBoards because this is where the knowledge is. I'd like to know which boat(s) are good for a newbie and if there was any close (reasonably good places near Kaanapali). I'm only bringing my 3mil wetsuit, fins, and snorkle. Also, I'm going to Oahu (one day so I may not have time to get a dive in there) and two days on Hawaii where I can probably manage to get one in there especially if there is someplace I just shouldn't miss if I'm going to be there too. Any advice, tips, experiences, for someone who may never get back to Hawaii will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

don't know Maui diving must do's, I'm sure someone will jump in on that...but keep in mind with your hiking and biking ( i.e. Haleakala) that the fly/dive rule might apply...again, locals will know more about that :D

Enjoy your time on the Islands :D

Thanks, I hadn't considered that. Dive/Fly rule is that you should not dive 24 hours before flying, right? and this applies to inter-island flights and perhaps ascending Haleakala which is 10023 ft. at the summit. Hmmm...important food for thought!

Yup :D
What you could do whan you are here on Oahu, and it isn't a Tuesday (closed on Tuesdays), is snorkel Hanauma Bay with your girlfriend...

One option is B&B scuba out of Kihei. Very good with beginners.
They board at the Kihei boat ramp at 5:45AM, which means you need to leave Kaanapali a couple minutes before 5AM. The advantage is that they are back to the ramp by around 10-10:30AM and you will be back to Kaanapali around 11AM --- hopefully before your girlfriend gets restless. They do take on bubble watchers or snorkelers, but the site selection is optimized for divers and the snorklers may or may not get a good site.

Extended Horizons is a good quality operator that leaves from the Mala ramp, less than 10 minutes from Kaanapali. They usually go to Lanai, but will not get back until noon-1PM sort of time frame. Good crew. Good for both experienced and newbies.

Lahaina Divers has large boats (24 passenger IIRC) going to both Lanai and Molokini from the Lahaina Harbor. Very much more of a herding the masses / cattleboat type of operation.
-------------------

The summit at Haleakala, at 10,000', is higher than the 8,000 maximum cabin altitude of airliners. Your first full day on the island would be a good day to do the bike ride down Haleakala. Something close to 30 miles of coasting, with a hundred yards of pedaling.

-------------------

A quick, easy and convenient dive for you will be the guided shore dives at Black Rock by the dive shack at the Sheraton. IIRC, they go out about 3 times per day. They are used to both newly certified divers and also Discover Scuba people.

Also PM Kidspot -- he's a Lahaina based Scubaboard member. He typically goes diving on Mondays.

I'm in Kihei, a block from the boat ramp and often do shore dives. Typically early mornings, usually on the spur of the moment. It might work out for your girlfriend to hang out on the beach for the hour or so it takes for the two of us to do a dive at some location like Ulua, Polo, White Rock, or Makena. Send a PM (private message) if interested.

Charlie Allen

I had pretty good luck with Lahaina Divers on Maui, and they have dives set up for newbies through advanced. Beautiful new dive boats, excellent customer service, but yes, as Charlie said, 22 divers per boat when full. They consider the outer wall of Molokini an advanced dive because it requires a blue water swim and it is a deeper drift dive. They want you to have a minimum of 30 logged dives to do it. They have another trip to the Cathedrals on Lanai which is quite spectacular, and more suited for beginners. A good shore dive is Black Rock, right in Kaanapali. Talk to the folks at a dive shop about how to park for free and access it. Another good shore dive is Mala Ramp but watch out for boat traffic. My secret night dive spot (ssssshhhhssssshhhh - only for SB members!) is right off the beach at the Embassy Resort (the pink pyramid). Swim to the white bouy, drop down and start poking around the reef. You'll see a ton of morays and a few turtles too. The beautiful thing about it is, it's shallow and there's a huge spotlight on the roof of the Embassy you can see the whole time you are under water. You will never lose your berings so it's perfect for a newbie.

I get my air and weights from Maui Dive Shop. They're everywhere on the island, including Whaler's Village right in Kaanapali.

There are a number of dive operators in Lahaina. We found Lahaina Divers by walking around and comparing prices on dives and getting a feel for who we would like. I suggest you do the same. Now that I have a few more dives under my belt, I'd probably look for a six pack of advanced divers!

On the Big Island, if I had only one day, I would do a two tank Manta Night Dive with Jack's Diving Locker. You do a reef dive at twilight, then a night dive with the manta rays (if they are cooperating). The reef we dove was called Golden Arches. You will never forget that experience, I guarantee it!! :D

Have fun, and let us know how it went!

Definitely get hold of Kidspot (Tim). He knows great shore dive sites! Especially if you are a brand new diver, there is a place just barely north of the Kaanapali turnoff which is a great site for new divers (Old Airport). If you shore dive, you have the option of going out whenever you want and coming back when you want.

After our recent trip there, I will do MUCH more shore diving and much less (expensive) boat diving on future trips.

That said, we have gone out with B&B and had a great time, and they do get you back early enough that if your companion sleeps in a bit, she may not even know you were gone.

And contact Charlie, too . . . he's a great dive buddy.

Enjoy your trip -- it's hard to have a bad time diving on Maui.

Some Maui SB members will be getting together for BBQ and dives on Saturday March 4th, at Old Airport. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=129664 . Drop in, say hi, and dive a bit.

Old Airport is just north of the main resort section of Kaanapali. Turn left at the traffic light next to the Sugar Cane train terminal.

We got back from Maui about a month ago, stayed at the Embassy Resort. Talk about turtles! Talk to Richard or Maya t Tiny Bubble, right there behid the pool vendor. Swim to the white bouy, drop down turn either due north or south and find turtles. There is a cleaning station directly out from the scuba shack. After counting seven, I stopped.

If you are doing Haleakala. Might I recommend the Pony Express (http://www.ponyexpresstours.com/). I couldn’t see the attraction of careening a bike downhill, but this really appealed to us. They take you on a trail ride down Sliding Sands, serve you lunch, then back up. It would be slow paced enough to take lots of pictures. Unfortunately we didn’t know about it until we got there and they book up quickly.

If Maui Dive won’t sell you air, the one across from EVR wouldn’t. Go to Pacific Dive, on Dickenson in Lahaina. Piper will sell you 10 tanks for $30. Anything below that is $5 per tank.

We also dove with B&B, a great operation. Blessie knows how to find the little stuff. BTW, my avatar was taken off Molokini. DM Stan found this little guy and he was as curious about us as we were about him.

Extended Horizons was also great. Warren, Maren & Victoira are the DM’s. Victoria knows her fishies. They go out of Mala Wharf, which is also an excellent dive spot.

Lahaina Divers we thought was a cattle boat.

Definately go to the Airport Beach BBQ and find out where the locals go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom