Going to Key West - Looking for easy dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ciaka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be going to Key West for Christmas (about 10 days). Wanted to see if anyone on here can provide pointers for shore diving locations, and good dive excursions in the area. Planning to do several dives (wife permitting - maybe a couple/day for 5 days or so, maybe more).

Greatly appreciate help in getting more info. Thank you.

Boats will take you out. At least one I have heard of will even take you beyond the marine sanctuary that covers the Keys.

No shore diving. For dive operators, I like Dive Key West for a hand-holding operator and Finz for an off-the-beaten-path operator. What kind of a diver are you?

Boats will take you out. At least one I have heard of will even take you beyond the marine sanctuary that covers the Keys.
That's tough, as the Marine Sanctuary goes from Biscayne National Park all the way to the Dry Tortugas and out to 300 feet deep.

I am the pretty type..lol

Few resort places told me shore diving is available. Guess they're not as informed as they suggest.

Mostly looking for quick dives (like one or two dives then get back to fam for the day - type of a trip).

I am not a novice, would say bout 300 dives, varying vis from 50' to no viz, from water temp 85F to 35F or so. Mostly fresh water diving.

Qs:
1. No shore diving means shore waters too shallow or prohibited?
2. Are all trips full day trips, or do they have morning or half day too? Trying to assess cost associated with each type and how much time each trip may take.
3. Does one have go reserve well ahead of time or just arrive and find operator to take you out?

I will have half time in key west and other half in key largo.

Thanks for pointers.

No shore diving. For dive operators, I like Dive Key West for a hand-holding operator and Finz for an off-the-beaten-path operator. What kind of a diver are you?

The shore dives in KW suck. You CAN shore dive, but you might as well snorkel.

There are a couple spots that are deeper, but you have to realize that most of what you will see is turtle grass beds.

The morning dives with most operators leave at 9am...and you will be back at the dock by noon. It’s not a long run to the reef.

Key largo is the same story.

KW harbor was a cool dive back in the day but it is not allowed any more (probably was illegal when my dad was doing it in the late 90's also)

Are you referring to the harbor inside the mole pier? That’s a nasty chunk of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom