Going to Grand Cayman JUNE 27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do check out some of the small group dive operations in Grand Cayman. Although you will get great diving with any of the operators mentioned above (Don Fosters, Treasure Island, Bob Soto's, Sunset House etc) ask yourself if you want to dive with a boatload of up to 20 other divers.

You can dive with a maximum of eight divers and have a wide choice of operators. Generally these operators will give you longer dive times and more personalized service so I know what my choice would be!

You won't even pay any more as rates are very competitive.

Be wary of the unlimited shore diving. This is usually limited to a single location as most shore diving locations do not allow "outside" tanks. If you are happy diving the same site each time then this is not a problem.

Look at www.divecayman.ky for ideas. Hope this helps, happy diving.:wink:

Cj-
All the operations that you mentioned promised a max of eight divers. They all claim to be "non cattle boat operations". Do you know that they are cattle boat dive companies? I would really like to know if they are just claiming that they won't do more people than eight. If that's true I may actually check out the smaller dive operations. Let me know if you know something!!
Thanks- AMBER:confused:

Hi Amber,
That's interesting to hear! I don't know how they can say that they take a maximum of 8 divers! Of course it's possible that if they are having a quiet week while you are there that they will only have 8 people on a boat but in general those operators will take 16-20 divers max on their boats if they can!

Check out their websites, if they don't say that they take a max of 8 divers there then the chances are that they don't!

The other thing to bear in mind is that many of the larger operations can be quite restrictive on bottom times. Ask about their dive profiles and policies on computer diving before you commit yourself to anything!

There are no bad dive operations on Grand Cayman but you will definitely get better value for money by asking a few pertinent questions and cruising the websites first!

Good luck!

Cj's. :) :confused:

I know for a fact that the above mentioned operators all carry more than 8 divers on every dive. Their boats hold 40 to 80 tanks each and they are all usually spent by the end of the trip. Be very careful of the 8 diver max promise. Those three operators are three for the four largest on the island, the fourth being redsail sports. Most will not run the boat for less than 8 divers.

I agree that the small operators are the way to go. Not only because I work for one but also because I dive with the others on my days off. We do customize the dives to meet customer request and usually allow for more bottom time because the process of getting a few divers in and out of the water is much shorter than 20 divers.

There are tons of small operators on the island and many of them are great. PM me and I'd be glad to give you several suggestions and let you make your decision.

Good luck

Hi,

I gotta agree with the plug for Dive-Tech above...

I have stayed at Cobalt Coast and dove with Dive-Tech on my last two trips to GC. They are great.

They DO take a bit more then 8 divers max, but the boats they have are layed out nicely and don't feel too crowded.

The DMs LOVE it when everyone has computers as THEY get to dive longer then too :wink:
http://www.divetech.com

Is sunday a good day to go to Stingray city? I want to go there when the least amount of cruise ship people will be dumped off there.

Well, I checked out the Cayman port website ( www.caymanport.com ). On Sunday the 29th there are no cruise ships visiting G.C. But, Lord help you on the 27th though, there will be 4 ships that day, dumping over 12,000 bodies into Georgetown. Have fun..

Cayman's a great place! I was planning a vacation there myself in August. (Got sidetracked to abother destination...) But Neptune's Divers came VERY highly recommended to me from several different people. Their prices are comparable, and they will not take out more than 8 divers.

As far as Stingray City...if you do this as a dive, there's not too much to worry about. Most of the cruisers do the snorkel trip out there, which is in waist deep water. We had a great guy take us out there for the snorkel trip. He told us if we didn't mind, we'd go snorkel somewhere else and go back when the cruise ship ppl. left. (Wasn't a diver when I went last time...WAAAAHHHH!)

Anyway- have TONS of fun. It's is every bit as beautiful as the pictures you see, and the people are very friendly there.

Kristey

PS..if you feel like an expensive dinner out one night...DO NOT miss the Wharf! YUMMMMMMMY!

Back
Top Bottom