Going to Ginnie Springs this weekend. ADVISE ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year when were just snorkelers we would camp out but it seemed it was getting worse and worse with the drinking and partying till all ours of the night. The last time we went was in Oct and finally at 3am I told my husband I had enough and we had the truck and the van there I took the girls home. It's a 2 1/2 hr drive from st.pete but just couldnt take it anymore. The time before that we had similar incident but found the state tropper they hire and he went and quiet them down but the next morning i was mean I found a station that played gospel music and blared it for them to hear.

Sometimes camping just turns into a hick parade. Like Memorial day weekend, we saw maybe 3 or 4 sites with Confederate Flags flying. My girlfriend asked what that was about - I just told her, Floridians are wanna be southerners. The real south during the war stopped at Georgia. Let the flames begin!

The weekend ScubaBoard invaded, had some big wanna be roudy crowds, and quite a few campers, however, in my opinion, it was a wonderful experience. The diving was good, the tubing was fun, diving the river was a hoot, and the camping good. Maybe we just got lucky, I dunno, but after reading the posts here, and the negativity, one would wonder why we had such a good time. I am glad my experience was good, and look forward to going back again.

From my experience its usually a Memorial Day to Labor Day redneck party weekend thing at Ginnie. The winter its great, no crowds, and the water is the same temp anyway.

I had the experience last month of being the first person in the water at the main spring. It was about 10 minutes after the park opened. Myself and my buddy left our gear set up in my truck the night before and got out, opened the back, hooked up, closed the truck and went to the water. It was absolutely beautiful, quiet, and peaceful.

Ginne is a cool place, I just wish it wasn't almost $30 to go in. Plus, they have that dumb rule about not taking lights in unless you are cave certified if you choose to enter at Devil's Ear... it irritates me because we have to exit then go get a light before going into the main spring once we float down the river. They actually have "security people" to enforce this stupid rule. Like I, in my swimsuit and gear with one tank am going to go into the caves... most people are simply not this stupid.

But alas, its a nice winter dive site. During the summer its way too crowded with ignorant people. Although, if you are a warm-blooded male, the scenery is AMAZING most summer days. :)

pw1981:
Like I, in my swimsuit and gear with one tank am going to go into the caves... most people are simply not this stupid.

Ya I disagree. I think its a good rule. I know you probably are not stupid, but many folks are.

Like I, in my swimsuit and gear with one tank am going to go into the caves... most people are simply not this stupid.
I disagree also. After seeing the drunk college kids with a 5th of Jack in one hand and a float inthe other riding down the stairs to the water, tipping over and not getting the liquor wet....
Granted they are not divers, but there are too many folks out there that will do something because "it's there." I imagine too many lives were lost before that rule was enforced.

the rule is overly broad (i.e. it affects people who would otherwise use their
good judgment), but i feel it is necessary.

a lot of people armed with a light and no or little training can get in trouble surprisingly
quickly in an overhead environment. you don't have to be stupid, just in the wrong
place at the wrong time, and Murphy can bite you. if he bites in open water, you'll
probably survive with a scare. if he bites in overhead, you will be lucky to get out
alive.

so, yes, i can see how the rule is annoying (it annoyed me too), but unfortunately,
it is what it takes to save lives. the lack of light should keep you from getting
too far into the cavern and thus, hopefully, keep you from getting in too much over
your head.

I want to do ginnie springs as soon as I can.
When's the best day/time to go, if you want to avoid these crowds you speak of?
I'd like it to be as quiet and peaceful and silt-free as possible.

Are they just a weekend thing, and if we go during the week, we'll be fine? Or is it all summer long, any day?

You really don't have to worry about silt at Ginnie. Its a sand bottom and settles quickly.

During the week would probably be better. Winter time is great! But you probably don't want to wait that long. If you go during the week, let us know how it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom