Going to GC in January..looking for some tips/advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are going to Grand Cayman for week in the end of January. We are staying at the Grand Caymanian on the east (bay) side of SMB. They have a on site dive op..Capt. Don's Cayman Diver Ltd (Cayman Diver, scuba diving in cayman, Grand cayman scuba diving at its very best, Small groups, boat diving, scuba instruction, Accommodation.) that seems to be associated with Divers Down. Has anyone dove with them? We are planning on using them since they are right at the resort...too convenent for us..unless we get some negative reviews of them on here.
Couple other questions?
-Is a rental car necessary?
-Any must see/do things on our non-diving day/s?
-Any good casual dining recommendations?

Thanks

-Is a rental car necessary?
Not necessary but will certainly be convenient unless you're stay at the resort/eat at the resort types.

It's at least a mile to SMB road from your resort - maybe more. Cabs are high on Cayman - everything is high on Cayman... Lots more options for dinner/shopping along SMB.

If you're planning to shoredive, it would be necessary to have a car. Cemetary Beach is fairly close by off SMB, Turtle Reef is a little farther north and Eden Rock or Sunset House are in Georgetown. We thought we'd get by without one, the second day there we rented one. And we were staying on SMB. Andy's at the airport was cheaper than the chains.

-Any must see/do things on our non-diving day/s?
If you're planning to shop downtown, most of it shuts down when the last cruiseship leaves after 5PM - except the restaurants.

There's also Boatswains Beach. Supposed to be kind of a waterpark built around the old Turtle Farm. Not sure if it's "must see"

-Any good casual dining recommendations?
There's a Hard Rock downtown...even casual dining on Cayman is pricey. Cracked Conch at Turtle Reef is supposed to be good also - great view.

Hi,
I have dived with divers down on two different trips. I would use them again. The groups were always small, they were well organized helpful and safe.

Doug

We didn't stay at Grand Caymanian last Jan., but went there to rent jet skis to get to Sting Ray City. I then arranged to go diving with Diver's Down and did 6 dives with them. They picked me up at our condo on SMB and brought me back after the dives. Good boats, excellent DMs, I'd dive with them again. Their dive boats will not necessarily leave from the dock at the GC; instead, they might end up driving you to a boat somewhere along SMB area.

There's not much near the GC, I'd suggest a car rental if you want to get to town for any reason. We had a blast doing the submarine underwater tour at night. And, the jet ski trip to Sting Ray City was a hoot!

When you arrive on the island, pick up a couple of the tour books. After eating dinner out the first night, we ended up ordering excellent meals from various restaurants that were delivered to our Lacovia Condo - it was a relaxing way to enjoy the evening.

I still haven't edited all of UW shots, here are some of GC: honeymoon2 : photos : Grand Cayman 2007 Jan. - powered by SmugMug

Cheers, alashas honeymoon2's photos - powered by SmugMug

And, the jet ski trip to Sting Ray City was a hoot!
That's a REALLY Good idea....wish I'd thought of doing that. Did you haul your gear or just snorkel?

sjspeck,

We just took our snorkel gear with us in the waverunners. The 2 guys who took us there were very good to work with. After hanging out at SRC, we then went on to Rum Point, before returning to Grand Caymanian. We did this on a Sunday, and enjoyed their Sunday lunch buffet. I then did 2 dives that afternoon with Divers Down. I had hoped to dive SRC later in the week, but couldn't find any dive shops that were going that way. Here's some photos of SRC snorkel: http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/gallery/2397480#125848466

Cheers, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

I suggest you rent a car and do some of the great shore dives.
Eden Rock and Devils Grotto are a must do shore dive.
Fidel’s Irish Pub at Queens Court has great pub food at low cost.
Taxis are expensive but mini van's run along seven mile beach picking up passengers for about $3.00 a ride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom