Going to Fiji Need Suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

comptonp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be going to Fiji early April and I am looking for a good dive shop recommendations and "do not Miss" sites or activities. We are staying at the Hilton on Nadi, but we can be flexible with other areas. Any help here is greatly appreciated

Sugestion 1) Move from the Hilton... OK, it a very nice hotel, but the diving on that side of Fiji is not our best. Fun for something to do in the morning, but not worth coming to Fiji for..... That is if you are really into great dives.
Now there are some nice dives around there, but if I had the choice, I would move around a bit. So....

Options.
If you are prepaid at the Hilton, don't worry. You can do day trips down the coast to do the Shark Dive with Aquatrek - very cool - and maybe a days soft coral diving with them too. It takes about 2 1/4 hours to get there by taxi (cost about FJ$200 return - haggle with a local taxi rather than book with the resort if you want to save a fair bit on the fare.
Do you surf? If so, 2 world class options of Frigates passage and Cloud Break both day trips. Frigates is also a cool dive. (book through Waidroka resort)
Head the other way around Viti Levu and you can go out with Wananavu or Ra Divers for a day in the Vatu i-Ra passage - seriously cool walls and big pelagics, often drift dives. About 2 1/2 hours to get there. Make sure they are planning to go to the Vatu-i-Ra that day before you go as they don't do it every day.
A little bit closer to Nadi is Scuba Bula - now I have never dived with these chaps, but they offer some interesting sites.

There is a dolphin snorkeling day out based at Takalana. A bit harder to get to but very cool to swim with these Spinners.

If you did decide to move from the Hilton, then there are loads of options depending on your preference for accommodation, price, diving and activities.
I hope that gives you some food for thought. Let me know if you want any more ideas or info.

Let me know if you want any more suggestions.
Cheers
Greg

Tavenui divers will do trips out to Rainbow reef - some nice accom on Tavenui.

want to dive with mantas, a quick plane ride of about 40 mins. south to Matava eco resort to Kandavu. Pristine reefs and a opportunity to dive with Mantas. Great dive!

Wananavu, a resort at the north end of Viti Levu (same island as Nadi) offers some wonderful diving and great (new) dive op. Not really all that doable as a day trip from Nadi (you are looking at at least 2.5 hours drive each way), but totally recommended for at least a few days of staying and diving. I dropped in today to post a link to a hot-off-the-press trip report for the resort and dive op. It will tell you everything you need to know. My blog/website is completely non-commercial (although I have been published in several dive publications), and I am not employed in any way by Wavanavu or its dive op to promote them. It is just a diver to diver share...

Fiji 2013 ? Love, Actually | Awoosh.com

Fiji is awesome place to visit and dive, i traveled to three locations for DiveTravelDVDS.com and made a dvd of the diving there. its an hour long show of the islands both topside and diving check it out.
I was in Wananavu beach resort , Castaway island, and Beqa Lagoon, and i have to say Beqa was the very best diving with the most colorful reef system. The people of Fiji are wonderful.

I have to agree with cbm32. I was not impressed with Beqa however i only did 2 dives there. I spent 10 days at Naigani Island resort which had incredible diving at great prices. There was so much to see and over 20 dive site within a 10-20 min boat ride from their beach. Excellent staff and divemaster. The whole experience there was top notch. And suprisingly it was the best priced one too. I saw the most diverse marine life there. I also wne ton a day trip to Wakaya which was amazing. There we saw hammerheads and turtles amongst many other great things. Had a great dive down to 159' with just the dive master and myself. Look into them if you want a superb dive location with lots of diversity and color.

I did some dives with both Aquatrek and Waidroka, as suggested by Fiji_diver, and would recommend them both, although I did enjoy the soft coral diving with Waidroka over Aquatrek who does the shark feed best. If you do decide to visit the Pacific Harbour area, it's worth a stay as there's a few other 'adventure' activities on offer in the area ( I enjoyed the rafting day trip!), and it saves on the arduous and bumpy 2-3 hr transfer from Nadi.
I would totally recommend Nannette's accommodation (homely BnB style in a beautiful modern villa) in Pacific Harbour, to anyone wanting to do the shark feed dive and spend some time in the area. My stay of a week was great, and far more of an authentic fiji experience than the one night I had to stay at the Westin on denarau in order to catch my flight home. Enjoy fiji, and remember, you're on island time as soon as the plane hits the tarmac- enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom