Going to Cozumel in September will swimsuit and rash guard be enough

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

REMEMBER that loss of body heat is cumulative. For me, just swim trunks anda tshirt is plenty if I’m only diving one day. BUT, if I’m diving 3, 4, or 5 days in a row, then I want thermal protection. Personally, I don’t need much - just skins plus (with .5 mm neoprene) is enough. But even then, after 3 days of two-tank dives, I get a bit chilly on 4th and 5th day. SO, if you plan on diving every day, make your plan based not on what you need to be comfortable on the FIRST day, but what you need to still be comfortable after several days of diving.

I think it depends on the individual. I got chilly on my 2nd day on my 4th dive (at night). Wore a shorty the next couple of days, but then went back to a lycra diveskin for the next 10 days. Water was from 83°- 85° depending on dive site. I hit a few thermoclines around 90 feet +/- where it was around 81°- 82°, which was "cool" but very tolerable for the short period that I was there. On Sunday, 22 July, there was a thermocline at 77 feet, it felt good.
As I said, it depends on your personal tolerance.
Have fun! I'm envious!

Depends on you. When we were on Cozumel last, the water was ~82F. I wore a dive skin. Sue and Kim wore 7ml of neoprene, including hoods.

If you have a wetsuit, bring it. It is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Whether you will need it depends on a lot of factors: how much/often you will be diving, your body weight, your tolerance for cold, etc.

I did a swimsuit and rash guard for one day of diving in Cozumel off a cruise ship in September of 2015 and I was comfortable. I took the next day off and then did the same thing in Honduras the day after that. Usually, in December in Cozumel, I have done 5-6 days of diving in a 3 mm suit all week, and this past June, I was in board shorts, rash guard, and shark skin during the day for four days and 3 mm suit at night the first night. Like others said, getting cold is cumulative over the days, and I was actually a bit cool on my last day of diving and would probably have switched back to the full suit if I had stayed for one more day.

It all depends on your personal body and tolerance for cold, though. I've been on the boat with some guys who have considerably more natural insulation than I do and they do a t-shirt and shorts all week in the winter, when I wouldn't last one dive like that.

I used to just dive in a rashguard year-round. My wife got me this great 1 mm neoprene suit at Cozumel Scuba Repair (in one of their special ocean camo colors, I guess so they'll never find the body...) which I've come to prefer. Others like being warmer. As ggunn and others pointed out, if you have a suit and can bring it, you're probably better doing that than wishing you had.

I used to just dive in a rashguard year-round. My wife got me this great 1 mm neoprene suit at Cozumel Scuba Repair (in one of their special ocean camo colors, I guess so they'll never find the body...) which I've come to prefer. Others like being warmer. As ggunn and others pointed out, if you have a suit and can bring it, you're probably better doing that than wishing you had.

Everyone has convinced me I will be going to try some on soon. Being 5 foot 4 with large breast should be interesting to say the least lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom