Going to Costa Maya in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the post. How far from Mahahual to Xcalak and if this will be my second or third (the first two beind earlier in the same week) would it be best to stay on the reefs and do the dive with Gypsea? thanks Eric

---------- Post added March 11th, 2013 at 02:00 PM ----------

What is the cost for a private divemaster? We will be doing a two tank dive in Roatan Honduras two days earlier. We are doing cave tubing in Belize then after Costa Maya we are also doing some drift diving in Cozumel. From what I have been told at the two other dive shops their boat sizes are relatively small at 4-8 at Honduras and I think 8-12 at Cozumel. thanks Eric
Google maps shows it to be over an hour drive from the dock to Xcalak. I'd not go that far on a cruise stop.

If Roatan is your first ocean dive, book a private DM there. Cozumel drift diving can intimidate some tho, so maybe there too.

Sorry to wear you out with questions but on the Cozumel dive would it be possible to do diving without drifting. They make it sound as if that is the only way to do it. I do best with a descent line because I have trouble clearing my ears. I am concerned that if we are drifting and I have to go down two feet then up one in order to clear (which is what I usually do on the drift line) that I will use all of my are up on the descent and don't have enough for the fun part on and near the bottom. What do you think?

Sorry to wear you out with questions but on the Cozumel dive would it be possible to do diving without drifting. They make it sound as if that is the only way to do it. I do best with a descent line because I have trouble clearing my ears. I am concerned that if we are drifting and I have to go down two feet then up one in order to clear (which is what I usually do on the drift line) that I will use all of my are up on the descent and don't have enough for the fun part on and near the bottom. What do you think?
The Cozumel current is a constant part of the North Atlantic Gyre. The eddies will vary closer to shore, but generally south to north at varying speeds on the reefs. Good time to learn to dive it, but they do not use mooring lines - almost all live boat. Good buddies descent together, stay together for the entire dive, and ascend together - and I wait while my home bud works his ears out, but some are not as committed. Another reason to hire a private DM. Rates are up to the shops, so ask.

For equalizing, early & often. Practice every day for days before diving, again a couple of times on the boat, etc. Some find the Nettipot helpful. We take allergy meds with pseudoephedrine plus antihistamines which helps with motion sickness and clearing both - ever day, starting the day before the trip.

Thanks for the post. How far from Mahahual to Xcalak and if this will be my second or third (the first two beind earlier in the same week) would it be best to stay on the reefs and do the dive with Gypsea? thanks Eric

---------- Post added March 11th, 2013 at 02:00 PM ----------

What is the cost for a private divemaster? We will be doing a two tank dive in Roatan Honduras two days earlier. We are doing cave tubing in Belize then after Costa Maya we are also doing some drift diving in Cozumel. From what I have been told at the two other dive shops their boat sizes are relatively small at 4-8 at Honduras and I think 8-12 at Cozumel. thanks Eric

I would recommend diving with Gypsea. They use a smaller boat, so the number of divers will be lower. I can't help with the DM cost because we didn't use one. Catherine will give you their rates when you contact them.

Thanks for all of the helpful information. Have you ever used Alleve-D which has a decongestant in it? That was recommended by an ENT doctor that is also a diver.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2013 at 04:34 PM ----------

Thank you so much for the information. I have quickly come to realize that the diving community is full of really nice and laid back people that are willing to help with questions especially for newcomers like myself. It really does help a lot when you are figuring out what to do, where to do it, and how to do it. Thanks Eric Setzer

If you hire private DMs for your first ocean dives in Roatan, then first drift dives in Coz, you shouldn't need one for Costa Maya. Most accidents would not happen if people followed their training, but it does take a while to practice & learn some things. I did my first dive trip to Key Largo to dive newbie reefs, but you should be ok if you don't run into problems.

A couple of suggestions tho: Dive shops do not furnish SMBs and the whistles on their rental gear suck. Good to take your own sausage, Storm whistle, mirror, LED dive light even for day dives, along with your mask, snorkel and fins. If you do have problems, don't ever panic, but do get positive. Too many newbies run into problems and fail to drop their weights - bodies found with weight intact. :sad:
Thanks for all of the helpful information. Have you ever used Alleve-D which has a decongestant in it? That was recommended by an ENT doctor that is also a diver.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2013 at 04:34 PM ----------

Thank you so much for the information. I have quickly come to realize that the diving community is full of really nice and laid back people that are willing to help with questions especially for newcomers like myself. It really does help a lot when you are figuring out what to do, where to do it, and how to do it. Thanks Eric Setzer
That may be a good OTC med for you. It does contain pseudoephedrine so it requires ID to purchase, prescription in a few states - because it's also used to produce meth. The replacement decongestants that do not require ID are nearly worthless, IMO. I take similar OTC meds year round so I shop for the best buys in generic Actifed. The naproxen seems to be an aspirin substitute so I don't know why he suggested that, and not an antihistamine - but I am not a physicians. Just an experienced layman with regard to decongestants & antihistamines. Whatever you get, take it on a slow day a month before your trip to make sure it doesn't bother you. Some don't deal with some things well.

We're not always laid back, it varies, but many of us do like to offer opinions. :cool:

Check out Maya Palms Resort. They do cruisers as well. I stayed there for a week last year and it was fantastic. Their DM is awesome. Diving is from a panga and can be deep. The outer spur and groove reef is beautiful and on the deep side and the inner reef breaks the surface in some areas.

Thanks Don for the information. A couple of questions---- What is an SMB? and what is a mirror and what are those two used for? I assume that a storm whistle is something that emits a powerful sound so you can be found in rough conditions.

Thanks Don for the information. A couple of questions---- What is an SMB? and what is a mirror and what are those two used for? I assume that a storm whistle is something that emits a powerful sound so you can be found in rough conditions.
SMB stands for Surface Maker Buoy, also commonly called a Sausage altho there are other types. Later on, it would be good to add a finger spool or reel and learn how to deploy one from below while on your SS (safety stop), but for now - carry one to aid in finding you should you surface away from the boat. A couple I know locally told me about their time drifting on a trip once, and I asked them if they had sausages? "Yes, but we'd left them on the boat." You can spend $20 to $100 on one, but I like my cheapest one. I've never made an ocean dive or freshwater practice dive without it.

A signal mirror can be used on most days to get a boat's attention. I got one that I wear hung from my neck inside my suit. A Storm whistle is a specific brand that is much louder than most others.

I visited Xcalak last summer and the diving with XTC is excellent. The La Poza dive site is a 'bucket list' dive site. It is a 60 KM drive from Mahahual to Xcalak, you go inland on the main road about 1.5 KM and there is a Pemex station, this is the last place to get gas or use an ATM, there is no gas in Xcalak and they lack reliable phone / internet so they did not take credit cards at the dive and restaurants in the Xcalak area (as of 7 months ago). Just pass the Pemex station is a good paved road south, it is the only road to Xcalak, do not try the old coast road, it was damaged pretty bad about 5-6 years back during a Hurricane and a bridge was washed out and never replaced. If you can get down there the diving is definitely worth it and the dive shop is top notch. If you arrive for a day in Costa Maya on a cruise ship the travel times may be too tight to try it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom