Going to BP & W, need opinions on wieght systems...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Bob3
How 'bout a weight belt with suspenders?

Otherwise, Northern Diver makes a "Weight & Trim" harness that you can use with either hard or soft weights.
It also has the benefit of having a pair of detachable thigh pockets.

I don't think I want that many straps the deal with. Most of my diving doesn't even include a wetsuit so the simpler the better!

Originally posted by Bob3
Ya know Dee, there's always DUCT TAPE!:eek:ut:

How much weight we talking about carrying here?

smarta**!!!

With the FredT SS plate, I'm only taking about 10# maximum.

Dee, I'd get the Halcyon system without canister attachment. When I bought mine, they didn't offer it without the extra little belt. But, I really like mine. No velcro to wear out and dump your weights, it's pretty much as out of the way as can be, and the attachment hardware works just fine. I can't think of anyway it could be improved.

Beasts' really needs the extra vertical belt in it. We thought of a way to peg it down, but it still isn't shaped right, in my opinion.

Just get the halcyon. You won't be sorry (except about the price).

Dave

Hi Dee,

I've got the ACB+ and I really like it. The only drawback is that it will only hold 7# of soft weight versus 10# of hard weight (per pocket), and both of those REALLY pack it full. But if you're only using 10# total, it sounds perfect. I just did my AOW over the weekend (yay!) and myself and one other person out of 5 were using integrated weights versus weighbelts, and by the end of the second day all of the weightbelt people were eyeing our integrated systems, and the other guy with the integrated back inflation Genesis BC was eyeing the bp/wings! I think the pockets are very streamlined, as unless I'm using a divelight, I have my hands held together near my belly while I dive, and the pockets are in the slipstream of my elbows, not presenting any drag. During our navigation dive, I was cruising along and my buddy in a regular BC was struggling to keep up, and she told me she used to be a competitive swimmer, and I can't swim to save myself (well, you know what I mean). The streamlining advantages of the bp/wings even with the ACB+ still beat a jacket BC hands down. I agree that a weightbelt is probably even further streamlined, then I think about the second buckle, slipping weightbelts, sore hips, etc etc. If you don't need the extra weight, and don't use a canister light, the ACB+ sounds fine. Lloyd Baileys had the best price I could find on them, although 5th Dimension weren't too far behind. Even though they still cost over $110 or so, I think for the luxury of not having to lug a seperate weightbelt around, and being able to spread the load of that weight around the harness and on to your shoulders instead of directly onto your hips while walking around on land, it's money well spent.

My 5c worth (ban the penny!!!)

Ben

Ben...thanks for your review. My biggest objections to a weight belt..other than just plain hating them...is that I only have one waist! There's no room for two belts/two buckles!

I think after looking at Daves all week and watching him gear up, plus your review, I'll go with the ACB+. If I ever need more than an additional 10#, which would be rare, if ever...I can always add a weight belt for those few dives. I really liked the way they stayed in one place. The DR pockets that Beast has slips and slides and has to have extra hardware just to keep them in place. Dang...that'll cost me 2 sets of ACB+'s!!!

Thanks everyone for your input :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom