Going to BP & W, need opinions on wieght systems...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've got a Dive Rite deluxe harness and have ordered my FredT SS plate. Now I need a weight dump system. I like the Halcyon ACB that Campana uses but would go with the ACB+ without canister attachment.

Beast has been using a simple weight pockets from Dive Rite but they are sort of top heavy and flop over with the weights in. OMS has a No Sag pocket that is a weight dump and pocket combined. It fits to the front of the hips rather than behind like I'm used to. The sagging is prevented by a webbing strap that attaches to one of the rings on the shoulder harnes.

It doesn't bother me to have a 'mutt' system with components from different manufacturers, I just want parts that work!

Anyone have any suggestions...I know you have lots of opinions!

TIA

to old hard weights... but I really didn't need them! With my PST HP 120s I am sufficiently negative to sink but can still swim up from the bottom. I probably could have used the next lighter Fred-T Back plate! I did use lead with an AL tank, but I didn't need that much.

I remember reading some negatives on the Halcyon ACB....I will repost the article or link if I can find it...

Hi Dee,

How bout a good ole weight belt? That's what I use when I dive without my 104's. Once I'm in the water I don't even notice it and it's much more streamlined than bulky weight integrated pockets. Those kind of defeat the purpose of a BP/Harness system to me. More pluses with a weight belt, it's easier to carry to the boat and back (if you have your own weights) and you can set it up and leave it.

Just some thoughts.

DSAO!!

I am also in the process of moving to a BP/Wings setup and am leaning toward a plain old weight belt myself unless anyone has any good reasons for using something else with a single AL tank and wetsuit.

I ordered the ACBs but never used them in water, like stated before, they seemed to go against the purpose of the bp/wings. I went back to the regular old weight belt, cannot get much simpler or streamlined than that. I play around with a soft weight belt with different gear configs to get the weighting right and then get the weights that work.

The only thing you really lose is the ability to take half the weights off at a time.

Tommy

Thanks for the link O-ring. I need to know of such experiences in order to decide myself.

Going back to a weight belt is my last choice for several reasons.

I'm not a tech diver - yet - so please pardon me for intruding here. But...

while the ACB pockets do have their drawbacks, for me those seem to be outweighed by the advantages.

Streamlining: The location of the ACBs seems to be well within the slipstream formed by my shoulders and arms. The profile advantage of a weightbelt would seem to be marginal.

Trim: The ACBs keep the weight locked in place. The weightbelts I've used have had a very annoying habit of shifting around during the dive.

Stability: The ACB weights will be staying put, barring a collision strong enough to break the connectors. Weightbelts have been known to slip off people with certain body types.

Disadvantages (as I see them):
- Won't accept full capacity of mixed hard weights
- Not easy to replace weights underwater, but then why would you? I managed it on a test, but had to take off one shoulder harness strap to do so.
- Cost. The bloody things aren't cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom