Going to Bonaire over xmas question on theft..unique situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really? You wouldn't trust a camera housing that could house a $3000 camera and a $1000 lens? That's a much bigger camera housing, of course, but it's still the same principle. Take is down a few time before your trip with rice paper in it. If that doesn't survive, find another method/device.
New - yes but not a used/abused piece of crap offf Ebay....with 5 year old o-rings that look good. And probably aren't sourceble except with a SWAG on the durometer and thickness from an o-ring supplier.

To your other suggestion - I've read here that GoPro housings get some of their structural strrength from having the camera inside....

You might check and see if your homeowners insurance covers theft while on vacation. If you take them "underwater" you are actively putting them at risk no matter what box or case you come up with. I've used several boxes and sometimes they leak and sometimes they don't unless you go with a high end solution like a camera enclosure etc.. I've been to Bonaire a bunch of times for a bunch of weeks and only had my truck rifled once and they got a granola bar (which sucked 'cause I was hungry after my dive :)). You might be able to hide them up under the seat and they'll be missed if you are really unlucky and are targeted. It's a risk no matter which way you go, but I would roll the dice hidden in the truck rather than taking delicate electronics at depth especially if you might have coverage. All IMHO, YMMV. Good luck.
Having coverage may replace them later but you'd be missing them for the rest of the trip.

I think dive lights make some of the best dryboxes for actually diving with. Less awkward than rectangular boxes. A camera housing seems more expensive with more failure points. Since everyone is moving to LEDs, probably not so hard to find a halogen type around someone doesn't want.

That's a good question
That actually could be an issue for plastic div lihgt housings like the older Ikelite's etc. as they have structural ribs to keep from collapsing but since the batteries just need to contact the socket - there's a spring on mine. they may be subject to some internal pressure thru the case.

I'm not sure I'd trust my implants to one of these but buy at LeisurePro

Maybe one inside of another one for redumdancy?

I use the cc size on every dive and it's never leaked. But I only have cards and car key in it so not an issue if it did.

I had a custom canister made by Light Monkey, it wasn't cheap; but I can easily strap it to the side of my tank. It holds a mini gamin satellite communicator, mini cell phone, car keys, a credit card and a small bit of cash. It wasn't cheap; but it's well built and I trust it. I have about 4 underwater canisters and this is my favorite.

PS: I am also from the Twin Cities

Also, my father in law is hard of hearing. We went to Bonaire last year with a cheap $20 waterproof canister for his hearing aids; but then doubled up safety factor by putting it in one of these LokSaks (inside the canister)

https://www.amazon.com/LOKSAK-Water...&qid=1539568304&sr=8-1&keywords=loksak+double

I had a custom canister made by Light Monkey, it wasn't cheap; but I can easily strap it to the side of my tank. It holds a mini gamin satellite communicator, mini cell phone, car keys, a credit card and a small bit of cash. It wasn't cheap; but it's well built and I trust it. I have about 4 underwater canisters and this is my favorite.

PS: I am also from the Twin Cities

Also, my father in law is hard of hearing. We went to Bonaire last year with a cheap $20 waterproof canister for his hearing aids; but then doubled up safety factor by putting it in one of these LokSaks (inside the canister)

https://www.amazon.com/LOKSAK-Water...&qid=1539568304&sr=8-1&keywords=loksak+double
Could you give me more info on the canister you had made. Thanks

It's pretty heavy duty (but neutral underwater). And it has a strap that fits nicely on my bcd tank strap. I had them custom build me a relatively small one for $250 + s/h. You can email info@lightmonkey.us and tell them what you want. Another really good (cheaper and lighter) but slightly bulkier option is this thing:
CANISTER for PLB: SCUBA Diver Emergency Locator Beacon/VHF Marine Radio. | eBay

I have the bigger one; it's very well built. I dive with the bag strapped to the tank and then the canister in the bag. The bag specifically says, not for use underwater, but I've never had any issue with it. That was what I used to use when garmin's satellite communicators were double the size they are now.

I'll try to post a couple pictures when I get home.

PS: If you just want to borrow my canister for the trip; I'de be more than happy to lend it to you.

View attachment 484349 that's a great idea. Any idea if they sell a waterproof container. My lights are all still functional. We are staying at Buddy dive. Let's hook up and do a couple together
I may have one that will work for you if you want it. I have all kinds of dive lights in various levels of disrepair. I would suggest probably leaving one of your implants in your safe at BD and taking one with you so you can communicate between dives yet have a backup in case things go sideways. If you are interested I can dig around in my SCUBA cave and see what I come up with. I frequent Aquaventure in Maple Grove and could leave it there for you.

We should definitely get together for some dives at the end of the year. Bamboo Bali is a short walk from BD.

Yeah, for something that small a double o-ring dive light might be your best bet. I like the canister strapped to the tank method as I don't need it while diving so it's out of the way. The whole reason I spent the money on that is I had a dive at Red Slave that was amazing (saw dolphins, and then out of nowhere we hit an insanely powerful current we could't get under or fin against). We ended the dive; skipped our safety stop and had a very scary, very long and tiring surface swim back to shore. It was from that moment on that I realized I always wanted a way to communicate for help via satellite if needed; and you could pretty much name your price and I would be happy to pay it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom