Going to Bonaire over xmas question on theft..unique situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aside from thieves hauling a gas chop saw or an acetylene torch set with them, I'm finding it strange to not have implemented some form a lock box bolted in a vehicle as of yet.....

aside from thieves hauling a gas chop saw or an acetylene torch set with them, I'm finding it strange to not have implemented some form a lock box bolted in a vehicle as of yet.....

You obviously haven't used a battery operated Dremel.

The thieves are very unlikely to engage in a full-fledged vehicle search. For example, they are unlikely to lift the hood and look around the engine. Get a plastic box with an attached magnet, then either place it under the hood or on the underside of the vehicle. Thievery is very uncommon when expressed as a fraction of visitors. Probably none of the vehicles robbed have been searched in any systematic way.

Another alternative that we have used was to hide a gear bag containing stuff we now leave in the vehicle. The bag has been hidden in available spots not near our or other vehicles. Again, someone looking closely could certainly find it, but it is unlikely that someone would take the time to do so. There is a very low rate of return because few people actually hide stuff away from their vehicle.

I bought a Master lock box (like the ones realtors use to keep keys to houses in) to hold keys to my rental car when I'm diving Blue Heron Bridge. Something like that might work. (Some of them have fairly large compartments; some look like they have large compartments but the locking mechanism fills it; find one where you can look inside for size.) It fits over a car door handle, but I think I'd try to find a different place to hide/attach it where it isn't so visible. I would think it would look inviting to a thief.

You might check and see if your homeowners insurance covers theft while on vacation. If you take them "underwater" you are actively putting them at risk no matter what box or case you come up with. I've used several boxes and sometimes they leak and sometimes they don't unless you go with a high end solution like a camera enclosure etc.. I've been to Bonaire a bunch of times for a bunch of weeks and only had my truck rifled once and they got a granola bar (which sucked 'cause I was hungry after my dive :)). You might be able to hide them up under the seat and they'll be missed if you are really unlucky and are targeted. It's a risk no matter which way you go, but I would roll the dice hidden in the truck rather than taking delicate electronics at depth especially if you might have coverage. All IMHO, YMMV. Good luck.

Maybe a stupid question, but do you know if your processors are going to be OK at depth, pressure wise?
In a rigid sealed container, such as an old empty dive light housing, the contents would remain at surface pressure regardless of ambient pressure at depth.

Aren't hey pretty expensive? Not sure I'd trust a used camera housing.Even if the back o-ring looks good - what about each button?

Maybe a metal light housing with a screw down bezel and double o-rings. My Dorcy divelight has that plus the entire AAA battery carrier removes but it's not wide enough for your use. Someone likely sells a metal C or D size light that is.

The zip lock bag seems like a good idea also. Bonaire is windy - why they Kitesurf there - so there's often blowing sand.

They sell a heavy duty plastic bag at dive stores designed to keep wallet etc. dry while diving. Maybe that instead of a kitchen bag?It won't fold as well though.

Plus a waterproof canister of some sort.

It's expensive ($400) but...
Sartek Industries Product Details

Aren't hey pretty expensive? Not sure I'd trust a used camera/flashlight housing.

Maybe a metal light housing with a screw down bezel and double o-rings. My Dorcy divelight has that plus the entire battery carrier removes but it's not wide enough for your use.

The zip lock bag seems like a good idea also. Bonaire is windy - why they Kitesurf there - so there's often blowing sand.

They sell a heavy duty plastic bag at dive stores designed to keep wallet etc. dry while diving. Maybe that instead of a kitchen bag?

Plus a waterproof canister of some sort.

It's expensive ($400) but...
Sartek Industries Product Details

could be an option.

Really? You wouldn't trust a camera housing that could house a $3000 camera and a $1000 lens? That's a much bigger camera housing, of course, but it's still the same principle. Take is down a few time before your trip with rice paper in it. If that doesn't survive, find another method/device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom