Going to Bermuda, have questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be in Bermuda on June 25th-26th for a quick trip. I'll be staying at the Royal Hamilton Dinghy Club and was wondering what dive charters are nearby. I'm looking to do a 1 or 2 tank dive on Saturday (26th). I know its short notice, so the likelihood of getting onto a dive is questionable, I'm just hoping I can get in on a last minute "deal"... if there is such a thing in Bermuda.

BTW, never been to Bermuda but it looks like a beautiful island and I hope to visit it again for an extended trip.

the Hamilton Princess runs Dive Bermuda and I know they sometimes run out of town but you are going to have to contact them

3. They're not kidding when they say you need extra weight (due to salinity and a thicker wet suit). I needed about 23# of lead, more than double what I'd normally require in a 3mm shorty elsewhere.

:wink: Actually they ARE kidding about the salinity. The salinity of the water in Bermuda is just as salty as any other ocean diving destination.

They say that because they do not want underweighted N00Bs floating like ducks after they splash and they then have to waste time and energy to get weights to them. The 5mm suit "may" have more to do with your extra weights.

:wink: Actually they ARE kidding about the salinity. The salinity of the water in Bermuda is just as salty as any other ocean diving destination.

They say that because they do not want underweighted N00Bs floating like ducks after they splash and they then have to waste time and energy to get weights to them. The 5mm suit "may" have more to do with your extra weights.

Tridacna...can you back this up with some science? (Taking the wetsuit out of the equation). Southern California PSU is 33 while Bermuda is almost 37. so that is over a 10% swing....which would suggest 10% more weight required? (True Bermuda is only marginally higher than Caribbean/Florida, Bahamas Mexico et. al).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/WOA05_sea-surf_SAL_AYool.png

Tridacna...can you back this up with some science? (Taking the wetsuit out of the equation). Southern California PSU is 33 while Bermuda is almost 37. so that is over a 10% swing....which would suggest 10% more weight required? (True Bermuda is only marginally higher than Caribbean/Florida, Bahamas Mexico et. al).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/WOA05_sea-surf_SAL_AYool.png

Easy.

1. Salinity is usually expressed as parts per thousand or million (The weight of salt to water). I think that PSU is Penn State or tire pressure?).

2. I was fed this same line at Blue Water when I dived with them so on my second trip to Bermuda, I brought a refractometer with me and measured the salinity to see if it really was different to other diving locations in the mid-Atlantic. Results: About 1.024 about 35ppt. NJ varies from 1.023 to 1.025 depending on surface temperature. So no real difference. The halocline plays a much larger role in salinity differences. If you're talking about diving to 1000m (possible in Bermuda) then you may be right.

3. The salinity differences that you mention are absolutely insignificant with regard to the amount of weight that you need . Think about a freshwater dive. When diving in saltwater we typically take about 10% more weight to compensate for the additional salinity in the ocean. But that is a difference from 0 - 35ppt salinity. Much more substantial than 34 to 36. You do the math. There is no "weigh" that a change in salinity from 33ppt to 35ppt will require anything more than having to eat a heavy breakfast that morning before you dive. And please no high fiber foods because that will really upset the equation.

4. I think that the real reason that BWD mention this is so they can give another certificate. High salinity diver. There's an idea for PADI.

Is there decent shore diving in Bermuda, or is it best to stick with the boats?

There a few sites to go from the shore where there is a wreck with in distance but I would suggest the boats its a great ride out and back and they take you to some amazing locations

There is some wonderful shore diving in Bermuda but you are not going to be able to do any of them unless you have a Bermudian friend with a car, spare tanks and weights.

Remember that you cannot rent a car and unless you know a Bermudian diver with a car to get you there and advanced knowledge of the sites, it's not going to happen.

I'm going to be in Bermuda this weekend and want to dive at least one day. I'm staying at coco Reef which is close to the BWD at Elbow, but would it be worth it to travel to another shop that goes out on a boat? I'm also with a friend who isn't certified but would like to do an intro dive. What do you think the best bet is so that we both have a good time?

We did Elbow beach a few years ago and it would be a good discover dive site. My personal take is that doing a discover experience from a boat can become too much if things aren't perfect.

We didn't get as far out as I hoped but we enjoyed diving around islands of reef on the sandy bottom. Fish are fewer than in the tropics but tend to be larger, more mature.

Pete

A follow up question, if I go on my own from Coco reef should I still dive with BWD at Elbow or do other locations/shops have better dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom