Going to Bermuda, have questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDA - thanks so much for taking the time to type all that! With us being there for 3 days this is great info and I've already passed it on the rest of the group.

Mopeds sound like fun - if we can manage to stay on the correct side of the road and survive any roundabouts :wink:

No problem! Hopefully that helps other people as well :) I actually didn't notice how much it was till I posted it.

I can't believe it has been three years since I started this thread!
I am sorry I disappeared for 6 months but I hope I can make up for it and help anyone who has any questions about Bermuda!
We are having a College Spring Break special @ Coco reef from now till mid-march with cool parties and things going on.
The water temp also has stayed fairly nice this winter and should get warmer soon..
:)

As a quick follow-up to my previous questions here in this thread (thanks again to BDA for being so helpful), here's a quick trip report.

Weather was ok. Being smart cookies, we didn't believe the marketing talk of the travel agencies and did some research of our own. We knew that during winter, weather can be anything from nice and sunny and warm to stormy, rainy and somewat chilly, and that's exactly what we got (all of it in various combinations). Still, even in the crappiest days, it was still pleasant to be outside and wander around, as we came prepared with rainsuits and were used to below-zero temperatures :)

What we didn't know was that it was so incredibly off-season that most dive shops (and in fact most water sports places and also some other attractions) were closed altogether. That included Triangle Diving, with was on site with our hotel (Grotto Bay). Only through a sheer stroke of luck we managed to get two dives in anyhow: Blue Water Divers contacted me through email just when my phone was online and just a day before they headed out for a dive trip as weather was looking good for that day, so I gave them a call and got everything sorted for joining them the next day. They also don't go out on a regular basis in low season, but they try to when the weather is permitting and there's enough people.

Their shop is on the other side of the island from our hotel which is about 45-60 minutes away, but we had a scooter anyway so no problem there. Everybody was extremely nice and helpful to us (almost) complete noobs and the dive sites they selected were easy and shallow, perfect for us beginners. They had a very nice selection of 2-piece 5/7-mm wetsuits that worked well for keeping us warm in the ~65F water. They have no hoods or gloves for rent and said that we wouldn't need it. Having done some fairly cold water in the past, we were skeptical and used one of their spare hood and beanie at first, which they gladly let us use. But on the second dive we skipped on those, and they were right - no hood or gloves were needed. My wife did get a little cold on the second dive though. Visibility was nothing short of awesome and we had a great time on our first ocean dives.

The scooter was lots of fun to ride down the narrow winding streets, but I can see how people who have never driven one before and/or have never driven on the left side can have major problems and how it can even be dangerous. It's also quite easy to take the wrong turn somewhere without even noticing (you can't read the map while riding :p and the street signs are somewhat insufficient), but with us being avid geocachers we have handheld GPS devices that can give us driving directions, and that worked perfect for getting around. The rental place was just around the corner from our hotel, very convenient.

As for internet access (another thing that relates to us being geocachers :D), the Swizzle Inn (also just down the road from the hotel) offers free Wifi, so I skipped on getting a SIM card for my phone and instead we went to the Swizzle every evening for drinks and dinner, as they have quite reasonable prices. The hotel's wifi was non-existent in our room and only barely worked in the lobby, but even there you had to pay extra to use it.

All in all it was an awesome trip despite the low season. In some ways, the low season was nice, as everything was nice and empty and quiet. I can't imagine how it's like when the place is overrun by tourist. We'll already thinking of going back maybe later this year, maybe exclusively for diving :)

BDA - On our upcoming trip to Bermuda in July, my wife came across the Marquis Ranch for a carriage ride. Was wondering if you were familiar with this and any thoughts. Visited their website and also saw they offered trail rides - do you think it's worth it. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the review dfx.... we do have an off season sadly but there are alot of us trying to change that! I am glad you still had a good time :)

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Hello emeripsni,

I have heard of Marquis Ranch as they are up my end of the island and I have seen their horses around. I do believe they operate a horse and carriage ride in Dockyard during the cruise ship months but I really do not know alot of details about the company as a whole. The horses seem to be well looked after when I do seem them about but I am not sure where they go for their trail rides either. I am sorry I can't be aby more help.
I do also know that there are horse and carriage rides that go around Hamilton with tours and there is also Spiceland riding school which does trail rides down the south shore of the island (I used to ride with them and I have gone with friends on several of the trail rides) which is beautiful.
Where will you be staying if its in the west maybe going with Marquis for a trail ride is the best or if you are located more center of the island maybe spicelands as they are located in Warwick...
let me know if you have any questions or anything
take care

Hello BDA -

No apologies necessary. Appreciate any and all feedback.

We are visiting by cruise ship, so will be "staying" in the Dockyard area for 3 days. I think the Marquis operation came up as one of the excursions through the cruise line for a carriage ride. I'm still sifting through the various information from the dive operators as well - so for all I know she may just end up shopping while I end up diving :wink:

Well there is alot to do in Dockyard. I think on the previous page I posted a long list of 'things to do' in Dockyard. I do know they do an horse and carriage ride around dockyard and the est end which I think is run by Marquis... now that I recall. I do think they book through the ship as well but I can't give you any yes or nos for sure! Good luck :)

Hello BDA -

No apologies necessary. Appreciate any and all feedback.

We are visiting by cruise ship, so will be "staying" in the Dockyard area for 3 days. I think the Marquis operation came up as one of the excursions through the cruise line for a carriage ride. I'm still sifting through the various information from the dive operators as well - so for all I know she may just end up shopping while I end up diving :wink:

If your boat is docked at the Dockyard, an option for an easy dive excursion is to jump on the #7 or #8 bus and ride it down to Somerset Bridge (only about 10 minutes away); or a taxi is just as easy. Jump off there and walk down to the Blue Water Divers shop at the marina. I dove with them a couple years ago and would recommend them.

I totally agree about using Blue Water Divers, I dove with them last Nov. for 3 days,I also was on a cruise at Dockyard. I had a great experience with Blue Water Divers and would surely recommend them. Dove 6 wrecks on 6 dives and nice corals, they were very professional about safety issues and would ask for divers input as to which sites to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom