Going to Bermuda, have questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

Triangle Diving and Blue Water are both great ccompanies and both run year round so you should be good to jump in the water with any one of them. Triangle Diving obviously has access to the east end wrecks and reefs which Blue Water has access to the west end reef, wrecks and south shore dives. I do believe both offer wetsuits and gear to rent but I couldn't tell you for sure what thickness they have at their individual locations.

In regards to the hood as I previously mentioned I don't use a hood 98% of the time and I think you should be fine without one.
I have posted both the links to blue water and triangle diving below so you can contact them directly if you have an specific questions for any of the shops. I do have more direct links with blue water so I might be able to get more answers from them if you have any.

Triangle Diving Bermuda - Best Dive Shop
Blue Water Divers & Watersports : Bermuda's longest running PADI Scuba diving & watersports centre

take care
BDA

Tuckers Point Diving is a much better choice than Triangle. I would definitely go out of my way to dive with them. Not far from Grotto Bay but worlds apart in terms of experience and service. Smaller boat with less people. I've done both and there's no comparison. Contact | Tucker´s Point Dive & Water Sports Centre Check them out first.

Hello -

Will be in Bermuda this July on a cruise and docking at King's Warf/ Royal Naval Dockyard. No certified dives being offered through the ship (strange for being there 3 days) so looking to book direct with a dive shop for a 2 tank dive.

Have gone through the threads and saw recommendations mostly for Blue Water and mention of Fantasea. Some mixed reviews on other sites regarding Blue Water and when I visited the Fantasea site it indicated they were not accepting reservations for certified dives - only intro courses.

Have heard back from the Tuckers Point folks (seem very nice) and waiting to hear back from emails to Triangle and Dive Bermuda. From what I gather, these 3 are some distance from the port and a cab would be needed - have heard it takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to get to some of these.

Wondering how receptive the cabs are on the return trip with me carrying a wet mesh bag loaded with gear/suit?
Easy to buddy up with these outfits (I'm the only diver in our cruise group)?

Any other suggestions/recommendations would be great. Thanks in advance.

IIRC, from the Navy Dockyard, Triangle and Tucker's Point are at the far end of the island, while Dive Bermuda is substantially closer.
I, too, have heard good things about Triangle Divers, but I have no experience with them. I also agree with the mixed reports about Blue Water (the op closest to dockyard), and had one good, one not so good experience with them, quite a few years ago.
I have had many excellent experiences with Dive Bermuda, and would definitely recommend them. I also travel as "the only diver", and DB has always been able to get me a buddy.
Regarding the cabs: they do cost quite a bit, and the wrong driver might not like the wet gear, but in my experience, if you have the gear in a big plastic bag, the driver will usually put the gear in the trunk.
Enjoy your trip!

I find it strange that the ship isn't running any dives but that tends to mean they couldn't get the dive companies to drop their prices so low that they couldn't make a living of the income... (They've tried to do it with numerous companies) I do know that Fantasea has a location in dockyard come the summer time with beach dives off snorkel park and a boat to head out deeper..I know right now they are 'closed' per say unless you want to do a dive course. IF you don't want to travel far (Save on $ and time) this might be a better option for you.
As miked mentioned before Triangle and Tuckers are at the far end of the island near the Airport and would cost $65+ to get there from Dockyard as well as take about an hour by Taxi.
Dive Bermuda is about a 20-30 minute ride from Dockyard depending on your driver or the road. They are located at the fairmont Southampton princess and have access to the south shore reefs and wrecks.
Once again if you have a plastic bag (trash bag) to put your wet gear in most taxi's will be fine with your gear.
I hope I have helped answer some of your questions let me know if you have more!
take care
BDA

Quote (BDAfreediver)
...fairmont Southampton princess....
unquote
It's nice to see that somebody besides me (and my SO) still call the hotel by its most traditional name!! :)

Last edited:
Mike and BDA - thank you for the quick replies.

A $65 cab fee would definitely cut into my bar bill. If that is a one-way fee, even more!! Looks like my focus will be towards the closer ops. Didn't even think of the large trash bag option - great idea.

BDA - This is a family get-together trip so as the date get's closer, may take you up on your offer regarding some non-diving questions. Last time I was in Bermuda was 1981. May pick your brain on some "things to do". :wink:

Alright, here's a toughie, a complete shot in the dark and totally not diving related, but since the offer was given... :D

Our hotel charges some silly fee for Internet access, which we'd very much like to avoid. Do you know of any public places that offer free Wifi?

Or alternatively (and this would be the even better option) I could get a standalone SIM card for my smartphone and use that for Internet access, but I'd need one with a prepaid or pay-as-you-go plan AND with data enabled. I'm aware of two mobile providers that might sell something usable, but I'm not entirely sure. I honestly don't expect you to have any insight in this matter, but I'm posting on the off chance that you do :D

Many thanks in advance!

Hello Dfx,

Free wifi is one of those things that I believe got lost in the Triangle here in Bermuda. I personally for a 3meg internet line have to pay $90 bucks a month (Scary) and thats one of the cheapest options.... I know some hotels offer it as a free service to guests while others try to tack it on as an extra but that is due to the fact that internet is an expensive thing here... I have wandered around town and you can find wifi at a few of the cafe shops but as long as you purchase a drink or something. the Istores also have free internet but only for 30 minutes before they want you to sign up and pay the bucks.

In regards to the sim card I am pretty sure its going to be hard to get. The companies here do offer a prepaid plan but you have to have an account with them. I know the international business do this and can get the prepaid data cards for their visting CEOs or what not... its very frustrating as I have friends come on down and they look into doing the same thing but I know they haven't had much luck with that.

I hope this helps some what...
Good Luck

Hello Emeripsni,

Let me give you a run down of the things to do and see in Dockyard...

Resturants:
Freeport seafood resturant - Great for their fresh fish.. and thats about it (lunch and dinner)
Cafe Amici: Amazing breakfast, good italian food for lunch and dinner
Bonefish Bar and Grill: Good variety, likes to thing itself a little more classy and you tend to see a little more pricey (Lunch and dinner)
Frog n Onion Pub: Good ol british pub style feel and food.
The Pastry Shop: Great fresh food, alot of locals like this new place in the west. (Love it personally)
Hammer Head Bar n Grill: Located inside snorkel bar; its a beach front resturant serving your fast food type things (great at night as a beach front club n bar)

Shops:
Clay works: hand made items for around the house to outside
Glass works and the rum cake factory: Hand made glass items made right infront of you (Amazing to watch) and of course my favorite the rum cake factory where they are locally made on the island right infront of you and you get to taste them before you buy... I suggest visiting here
Craft Market: Great locally made crafts, foods and art.
Bermuda Arts Centre: Local Artists are based here and you buy amazing art or watch them work. (I love the amazing Bermuda Cedar work)
The Clock tower Mall: Lots of cool locally owned shops; some more touristy than others but a great look around
Makin Waves: A surf shop with lots of cool beach items
Pharmacy and Buzz Cafe: All your must haves alot of touristy items, suntan lotions, a snack area and a small cafe (expensive and the food is 50/50 for quality).

Water Sports:
Parasailing tours:(Never done it scared of heights) - I have been told great to see the island and the turtles
Jet Skii tours: Lead by a tour guide tells you interesting facts around the island as you go between reefs and under small bridges... (Have to be 16+ to drive, can have person under 16 ride behind)
Snorkeling @ Snorkel Park (equipment can be rented)
Fantasea dive shop: Has a boat and does beach dives (has seascooters I believe as well)
Water Skiing I also believe they have now as well
Dolphin Quest: Meet the Dolphins lots of programs available ->loads of fun and very very informative

Other things:
Explore the National Museum of Bermuda (Also still known as the Maritime Museum) this I would say takes easily over an hour to two if you love history. It also has one of the most amazing views of the rest of the island.
Train Tour of Somerset: Gives an informative talk about the area while you ride in the train
Rent Mopeds: Travel the island how the locals gets around.. (yes I ride a scooter.. there is only one car per household as a law)

Take a bus and then take a walk down the rail way trail (Beautiful walk and see lots of cool behind the scene areas)
Take a Bus to the south shore beaches: Stop at horsebay but then find the hidden pathways behind and walk for a few miles to see the pristine coast line
Take a Bus or ferry to Hamilton
Take a bus or ferry to the East end (I can do more about the east if the request comes up) But there is Crystal Caves, The Aquarium and Zoo more forts, caves and other cool things..

Hopefully I got most things.. I am sure I'll remember something but here is a fun link for Bermuda
Royal Naval Dockyard in Bermuda - Cruise ship pier, Shopping Restaurants and Attractions

I am sure I could keep typing more but please ask away and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom