Going to Belize in May, Some Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The biggie for me is electricity. We are staying at Aqua Marina Suites. I am taking a digital camera and plan on downloading pics every day from diving/sight seeing.

What kind of electrical hookups do they have in the rooms? Is it standard 110V like in the US, or do I need to plan for different?

Also, was curious about doing shore diving from the Caye. It seems like most folks run boats out but it looks like there is coral easily reachable from shore.

Is this kind of diving feasible?

Thanks.

Aggie,

We spent a few weeks on AC last summer and had a great time. Although most of the electricity is provided by Diesel/Generator sets, the power is kinda stable at 110 Volts A.C., which is the same voltage as in the United States (they do have frequent outages with storms).

As far as shore diving is concerned, I saw a few people kayak diving as the reef is approx 1/4 to 1/3 mile away from shore. However, don't think you could swim out, as there's too much boat traffic.

Great places to dive all over the reef with lots of life of all kinds. I was blown away by the sheer numbers of creatures. Boat diving is the norm and quick to get to sites with SIs back at the beach. I think you will enjoy it no matter what. AC is a kick.

Best of luck and enjoy, whatever you decide.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
MM1 :14:

I agree with MM1-

On the North end of Ambergris the reef may be a little closer, but for the most part you diving should utilize boats. There's a lot of North/South water taxi traffic as well as dive boats. I think a "swimmer" would be asking for trouble. Better to use the boat and have a knowledgable Divemaster guide. That way you can drift and they'll just pick you up.

I believe there's a new shop at the Suites. You might also check out Protech and Amigo's Del Mar. Dove with both a year ago and give them a strong :thumbs_up

Power is either on or off but the outlets work fine. Take care, Ken :42:

My wife and I were in San Padro over last Thanksgiving. You should have no problems with the electric...standard 110V plugs. There is no shore diving that I know of...but you could Kayak out to a moring on the reef if you wanted to. We dove with Chuck and Robbie...a very good smaller outfit.

Aggiediver i'll let you know more when i get back..i'm going there March 23 and will be staying at that same place.

Sounds like there will be several of us there soon. We're on the Nekton Pilot for a week starting March 11. Can't comment on the electricity since we're on a liveaboard.

'Slogger

Thanks guys. I wouldn't even mind doing a little kayak diving, if that's available. Looking forward to your reporting back :)

I'm also curious about security. I'm a little nervous about the idea of just leaving my laptop sitting in my room while I'm out diving and seeing the sights all day.

Well, normally what i do with my laptop is that i lock it in my luggage while i dive and site see....so, far no problem and hope not to have any in the future even though i just use it for pictures.

scuba65
ecologic DIVERS had laptop computer safes for their guests who are diving.
I have not seen any Kayak diving, i am not sure you might ask Protech as they have 2 kayaks maybe they can make a special trip for people.
have a great time
steve

Hey, thanks but we are staying at Aqua Marina Suites and diving with the shop they have there...it's a package that we have. though thanks for that bit of info.

Back
Top Bottom