Going to Belize in May, Some Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question that has nothing to do with this....sorry. does anyone know if you can buy powerade or gatorade in Belize? i like to drink either one before diving to keep hydraded.

Aggie Diver:
The biggie for me is electricity. We are staying at Aqua Marina Suites. I am taking a digital camera and plan on downloading pics every day from diving/sight seeing.

What kind of electrical hookups do they have in the rooms? Is it standard 110V like in the US, or do I need to plan for different?

Also, was curious about doing shore diving from the Caye. It seems like most folks run boats out but it looks like there is coral easily reachable from shore.

Is this kind of diving feasible?

Thanks.
Where I stayed @ Sunbreeze there was so much boat traffic it would be foolish to try a beach/shore dive. Maybe a dozen or so cars and trucks with a ton of golf carts on the island leaves everyone getting around by boats.

We were just in Belize a few weeks ago and we also stayed at Aqua Marina Suites on Ambergris Caye. We also had the package with Aqua Dives, their dive shop.

The dive sites close to the hotel are so-so. Ask them to take you as far south as possible, and there the sites are much healthier and colourful. For example, in the Hol Chan area, the diving was much better. For that, they get the whole boat to agree on the $10 US charge to get into the Hol Chan marine park, and it's well worth it.

The most amazing diving was at Turneffe, around the elbow. This will cost you plenty, unless it's already in your package. The Lighthouse area in the Blue Hole package was amazing diving as well. Those two days to Turneffe and the Blue Hole (not the Blue Hole itself, but the other dives) was the healthiest, most colourful reef I've ever seen. The only problem with Aqua Dives for the 2 hour rides to these areas is that their boats are really inadequate for the open sea, and crash ferociously in the waves. It doesn't even have any padding, but we grabbed life jackets to sit on. The Amigos del Mar boats are MUCH better suited to the rough seas.

The food at Aqua Marina was not to our liking, but the restaurants in the area are excellent. Some of our favourites were Elvie's Kitchen, Fido's, Caramba, and several others. Wet Willies was a lot of fun when we went on a Wednesday - ladies night.

I don't recall seeing Gatorade, but I wasn't looking for it. They have a lot of Coke/Fanta products. They probably have something like it.

Thanks for that report. now how is the hotel itself..is it good? i'll try to remember to have them take us out further from the hotel..that's good to know. thanks for that bit of info. we are not doing the Blue Hole since i heard that there other better places to go. did you do by chance a wreck? ya, central/south america are big on coke/fanta products.

The hotel was pretty good. It was about what we expected. The Sun Breeze nearby appeared to be nicer, but Aqua Marina appeared to be better than most in that immediate area. We had no complaints. The staff were very nice.

Something I would suggest is that as soon as possible, try to make sure that your room is not in the older part of the hotel that overlooks the cemetary. The cemetary is huge and seems to be in front of the entire old section of the hotel. The views from the newer part of the hotel are much better.

We heard that they are going to put a "roof" over the cemetary, so people don't see it from their rooms and get freaked out.

We did not do any wrecks. If you can, try to do the day-trip to Turneffe, it's amazing. The Blue Hole, another atoll and another full day, is so-so, like you said, although the dive sites around there are very good.

Jeff88:
They have Coke products in Belize...but I don't remember if I saw Powerade or not there.

Coke with REAL SUGAR:D

Paul in VT

Scuba65:
I have a question that has nothing to do with this....sorry. does anyone know if you can buy powerade or gatorade in Belize? i like to drink either one before diving to keep hydraded.

You can pay $4.75 for a Redbull and then have a water chaser!! :wink:

Ayisha: thanks for that bit of info. on the hotel...yes, i don't think i want the room overlooking the cemetary.

Scuba65:
Why don't you bring a can of Gatorade powder - Instant Mix. You can then add the powder to any bottle of water. Wal-Mart sells the Gatorade Powder mix here in the US. As do some grocery stores. They have about 4 flavors, that I know of, but maybe more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom