Going To Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1RUSTYRIG

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to Korea for work May 16th. I'm going to have the week of the 23rd off and it is super cheap to fly from Seoul to other locations in Asia.

Help me choose!

I'dike the living to be cheap and the diving plentiful. I know nothing of the Philippines outside of the diving being great. Looks like a lot of destinations to choose from.

Guam is an option too. I've never been there either.

Thailand could be a good time too.

The places above are all around 200usd to fly round-trip into.

Where am I missing? Any recommendations on the places listed above?

Thanks!

You're missing Indonesia!

Try using Google Flights, and see where you can fly to from where you are on the dates you can fly, and what is the cost of each possibility. www.google.com/flights. Have fun.

Fly into Denpasar - DPS Bali. From there you can find lot's of great diving (I understand). I have passed through on my way to Komodo twice, and I have an itch to go to Bali next trip. I would start with Tulamben (Macro!) and (maybe?) pick one more not too distant location like Nusa Lembongan. I did make 2 dives off Bali on my last transition-trip, where we got lucky and saw a big Mola Mola on the last dive of the trip.
However.... Anilao (Philippines) still ranks way up there for me too.
Tough choice, but not such a bad one!

Tulamben seems to be pretty laid back and very economical. Any suggestions on a resort? I am going to be solo diving while I am there unless I find another solo diver while there. Looks like the beach dives are pretty accessible.

Suggestions?

Tulamben seems to be pretty laid back and very economical. Any suggestions on a resort? I am going to be solo diving while I am there unless I find another solo diver while there. Looks like the beach dives are pretty accessible.

Suggestions?

Liberty Dive. Solo is no problem since you'll have your own DM. Nitrox is no charge and if you're into macro, the muck slopes are amazing!!

Suggestions?

A few decent places there. Liberty Dive has already been recommended. I usually dive with Matahari Tulamben Resort & Spa just because it is so convenient. Wake up, walk 10m to the dive shop by the sea, suit up and then walk into sea to start your dives. Want to dive the Liberty wreck? Walk 200m west, walk into the sea, start dive. Want to dive the Drop Off (wall dive)? Walk 100m to the east, walk into the sea, start dive. Straight out and slightly to the west from the dive center is a decent reef for macro sightings. Great for night dives too. If you are trying to pack in the maximum number of dives, they have an unlimited dive package so you are limited by your NDL. Nitrox (32%) is free.

Once you get bored of those dives, there are a lot of other places nearby. Seraya is supposed to be a macro paradise and it is just a 5-10 minute car ride from Tulamben. Amed isn't that much further and plenty of dive sites there too.

You didn't mention what kind of diving you prefer though. Tulamben is better for macro (though you do find the usual turtles, moray eels, groupers, octopus, calamari, etc). If you like the big stuff, other parts of Bali or nearby islands are better. There's also Sipadan in East Malaysia which is world famous. The Similans/Richelieu area is also worth visiting but unfortunately closed in May.

Just a quick check online - China Eastern round trip $337-364 Seoul - Denpasar.

Think about Padang Bai & Tulamben.

It's not exactly Mola mola season but they do have a site near Padang Bai that you may see them, and you can always take a day trip out to Nusa Penida from there to try Crystal Bay and Manta Point (I just saw a post today that a Mola mola was sited in Crystal Bay). P.B. also has a great pier dive and site that consistently has Rhinopias.

Tulamben offers the Liberty wreck, Seraya's Secrets, great muck diving at many sites (frogfish, octopus, tons of nudis. tozuma shrimp, ghost pipefish...etc) and reef up a little farther north (turtles, white tip shark...etc).

Bali has fantastic diving! Wherever you end up, enjoy your dive holiday.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom